Cover Songs

Gainer
Gainer
07/26/2003 6:08 pm
I wanted to know what people think of some of the covers that people do on certain songs.
I like the Yngwie version of "Dream On", I hate the Dolly Parton version of "Stairway to Heaven". The list goes on
So, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any covers of other bands and your opinions on them.

Thanx
If I leave here tomorrow,
Will you still remember me?
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/27/2003 2:57 am
I think the ultimate cover is the Jimi Hendrix version of "All Along The Watchtower", written by Bob Dylan. Dylan has actually signed over the copywright royalties to Hendrix's estate, in recognition of that version's acceptance by the public. :) Now that's kewl!

At the other end of the scale, there's most of the covers that are out there. Cheez-fests, most of 'em, from Lenny Kravitz's farcical "American Woman" to Metallica's embarassing travesty of "Whiskey In The Jar"! :p I would like to think that bands are trying to pay tribute to artists they draw inspiration from, but too often I'm sure the result actually offends the original.

There are some outstanding exceptions, though. The Bangles actually did a very good job with "Hazy Shade Of Winter", an old Paul Simon tune. It's just too bad that the good ones seem to be the exception. People who don't know the old music miss out on things like the original version of "I Think We're Alone, Now", and yes, I think the new version is a steaming turd. :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
07/27/2003 7:20 am
Iced Earth does some decent covers

Nightwish's cover of Gary Moore's Over the Hills and Far Away is really good

On one of the Blackk Sabbath tribute albums, Bruce Dickinson goes as really great cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, much better than the original.

there are more, but it's late and i don't want to think anymore
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 3
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
07/27/2003 7:22 am
oh, and when randy played the old sabbath tunes with ozzy i think he greatly imnproved on them. check out Children of the Grave and Paranoid
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 4
David C
David C
07/28/2003 7:07 pm
Let's see . . .

Lynyrd Skynyrd did a good job with J.J. Cale's "Call me the Breeze." Eric Clapton did a good job with Cale's "After Midnight" and "Cocaine." Willie Nelson handled Townes Van Zandt's "Pancho and Lefty" quite well. Big Head Todd did a nice rendition of LZ's "Tangerine." I like Cracker's version of the Dead's "Loser." The list is infinite . . .
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"
# 5
Metalic Dude
Metalic Dude
07/28/2003 9:26 pm
Dream theater made a "cover" for "Master of puppets" by Metallica...It sucks...they play it the same but it sounds stupid...I mean..they singer got the voice of an owl and they don't the agression of metallica..there's a keyboard in the band either (I hate keyboards, although I wanna learn to expand my musical thing), anyway...I didn't like it.
Metal goooooood, Pop Baaaaaaad!!!
# 6
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
07/28/2003 11:44 pm
Britney Spears re-did "satisfaction", slowed it down and changed some words.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 7
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/29/2003 12:42 am
China Drums cover of "Wuthering Heights" was very cool and

Snuff's version of "By the Rivers of Babylon" was just immense!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 8
b_hoves
b_hoves
07/29/2003 4:15 am
dreamthreatre has also done a cover of Damage inc., sound alright, execpt the the singer tries to sound 'too' metal, but the instument work sound fricken great.
# 9
Rubenmatre
Rubenmatre
07/31/2003 1:22 am
Randy rhoads versions of of iron man, paranoid and children of the grave are pretty good
and i think that metallicas version of whiskey in the jar are nice too
Hail to Randy Rhoads
# 10
spanky10940
spanky10940
08/02/2003 5:48 pm
SRV does a bunch of Jimi songs and he gives them new life!

again - I hate to beat it to death but Voodoo chile is done soooo well by him it's amazing..

pantera covered Planet Caravan by sabbath and that was pretty cool, hearing them be a little mellow for a change

"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.