Incorporating Keyboard into a band?

brendonm
brendonm
07/20/2003 5:09 am
Hey everybody....i'm fairly new to this website and i guess this is my first posy..hahaha

but yaaaaaaah...i have a question

Me and a buddy have been jamming quite a bit lately (we're both guitarists) and we have quite a bit of experience but we thought we should start trying to get a band together. We know someone that can play drums well, and when we were talking to him, one of our friends that was there at the time said he plays keyboard VERY WELL. lol..that made me start to think. i have a lot of musical experience from playing piano for 8 years, but i started wondering...how would we as a metal band, be able to incorporate a keyboard into our playing? i'm aware that bands like dream theater and malmsteen have keyboard players, but i was wondering, what kind of stuff would a keyboard player play while two guitarists are playing? sorry for the long confusing message lol

thanks in advance
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/20/2003 5:59 am
Well, now... Once upon a time there was a band called Deep Purple. The two founding members were a guitarist named Ritchie Blackmore, and a fellow named Jon Lord who caused fierce sounds to issue forth from a Hammond B3 organ, a plexi Marshall amp, and a set of Leslie speakers. :eek:

I suggest that with a little creative flexibility, something suitably metalic could be produced by a similar combination of talent, yes? :D

BTW; welcome to Guitar Tricks! :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Cody_King
Cody_King
07/20/2003 7:32 am
oooooh ya metal is perfect for keyboards. Get some Children of Bodom Stuff.
Bed of Razors
Silent Night,bodom night
pretty much all there songs have alot of keyboard.
# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
07/20/2003 11:07 pm
Well theres two things ive heard keys do in a metal band.
(#1)The keys lay down a solid backbone as the bass does.The phrase stays simple and sets the mood.
(#2)The keys do a more complex melody along with the guitar/s,usually in an interlude.
(#3)The keys can also fly off with or without the guitar/s and solo.
Both techniques are often used together in a band/song.

eh...well I guess ive heard three things.
Listen to some Soilwork and/or Children Of Bodom to get an idea of the role keys have in a metal band.

Remember though...nothing is written in stone.Experiment and have fun.

Try once,fail twice...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.