How long do you think it took you to start reading notation competently?

icecool
icecool
07/07/2003 8:14 pm
How long do you think it took you to start reading notation competently?
# 1
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
07/08/2003 5:17 pm
I've been at it three years. I'd say I'm competent.
The thing about reading music is you have to keep practising it a lot, or you'll start getting bad at it again, really fast.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 2
TheDirt
TheDirt
07/12/2003 6:12 pm
After a year of doing it "every once in a while" I can read a single note line pretty easily. It helps when I check out what someone's singing, so I can play a couple of the singer's vocal phrases in my solo (and nothing sounds cooler than on the last chorus having the guitar playing the same thing the singer's playing).

BUT, I play classical guitar as well, and reading those multi-note compositions are hella hard because not only do you have to read each note, but then deciding where to play each note and with which finger...
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 3
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
07/25/2003 1:32 am
Ive been reading over a year now and Im still nowhere near competent, I can read slowly. Rhythm is no problem to me, I just have to take it slow and when I know the moves take it up to the correct tempo. I regret not practicing sightreading earlier on, where you take a piece youve never seen before and try to play it on the spot, it really helps, I know that now.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
07/25/2003 1:34 am
Originally posted by TheDirt
BUT, I play classical guitar as well, and reading those multi-note compositions are hella hard because not only do you have to read each note, but then deciding where to play each note and with which finger...

Haha yeah, its a bizzitch, innit?

Again, the only way to improve is practice, Ive really improved since I started sightreading every day
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 5
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
07/25/2003 2:40 pm
I learned to read music notation from the very start, taking lessons as a kid. Back then Tab was not as near commonplace as it is now, most method and music books did not come equipped with tab notation......wich I think is a hinderance to up and coming players. I'm a pretty decent reader, as good as I'm ever gonna be, I can do it good enough to sit down and be able to sight read through a musical, sight read charts , etc......I studied with this one guy who you's to sight read John Coltrane solos. He would turn the music upside down to make it more challenging. Pretty sic.
# 6
griphon2
griphon2
07/31/2003 11:57 pm
Coltrane, upside down,... love it! Charlie Parker, upside down. Even cooler. Try Bach, upside down.
A lie goes around the world before the truth gets it's shoes on. (Mark Twain)
# 7
griphon2
griphon2
08/01/2003 12:50 am
The quickest way to find out whether you are a competent reader, is to put yourself in the situation. (most neighborhoods have something musical, check it out.) Studio orchestras are great learning experiences. Find one, LISTEN, and learn. I can't stress enough about listening.
Life is listening. You, wish to be heard.
A lie goes around the world before the truth gets it's shoes on. (Mark Twain)
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.