Can typing help your guitar playing?

u10ajf
u10ajf
07/07/2003 4:59 pm
It just occured to me that it would be very suitable place to ask this question because most regular contributors here will be good typists as well as keen guitar players. Personally I don't know for sure if the fact that I can touch type at 70 wpm or so is much help to me as a guitar player but I can shred and type pretty well and suspect that being able to do one might help one to develop the coordination to do the other.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 1
icecool
icecool
07/07/2003 7:55 pm
Where can I get a grip exersisor from generally? What kind of shop would I find them in?
# 2
TheDirt
TheDirt
07/12/2003 6:19 pm
Well, I can type 100+ words a minute when I'm just typing off the top of my head (typing from a book makes it a bit slower). I don't usually look at either the screen or the keyboard exclusively, but I tend to look more at the keyboard than the screen, even though my fingers are going way too fast for me to see if I made a mistake while look at the keyboard. I just type and I know when I make a mistake. I was a pretty competent typer when I started playing guitar like 4 years ago (60+ w.p.m. back then), and I've noticed that on the physical coordination side, things come a lot easier to me than most people. But typing and guitar are two different beasts... there are different motions involved, but you're muscles are already strong from typing. It just takes a minute for the brain to learn where to move - the hands already have the ability to do it.

Try this one for a coordination exercise... looks pretty cool - set your wrist and fingertips down. Lift your index and ring finger simultaneously. Set them down. Lift your thumb, middle finger, and pinky simultaneously. Set them down. Repeat process.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
07/13/2003 6:14 am
Not sure , but there might be a little connection ... Anyway , my bro is a "typing-shredder" while I'm like an average type writer , but his guitar playing is still horrible !
# 4
Cody_King
Cody_King
07/14/2003 12:02 am
I can type at the speed of light but i suck at guitar :)
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.