View post (First Amp? First Real Gear?)

View thread

paradyme
paradyme
02/03/2005 12:10 am
Originally Posted by: joshersWell my first guitar is a Gibson SG Faded, i used to practice on whatever guitar i could find at the time, my friends acoustic for a couple of hours, a friends fender, but finally decided to buy a guitar. I should of went cheaper but eh, i like the SG.

First amp along with that sg, marshall mg15cdr, its an ok 15 watt amp, does its job, reverb sucks on it though, could of been better.

Currently im eyeing to buy a better amp, just not sure if i should go for the combo amps (tube/hybrid or solid state), or go for a half stack with a head (im a freak who loves vintage sounds).

That's a great question actually- I've played through a re-issued fender twin, which was ok, as well as a Marshall GCRCD100- I think that was the model. I would say this: tube is good, but it can be pretty closely replicated by a solid state amp in conjunction with pedals. Right now though, I have to say that I am absolutely enamored with Line 6's products. I scored a Spider 112 for like 150 used, and it's better than any amp I've ever played through. Not precise modeling, but as close to replication as possible, and using digital technology.

I dig them- I heard the 2nd generation spiders kinda suck compared to the 1st, but I absolutely love mine, and I play a tele, a 51 and an ibanez artcore through it.

peace
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis