Boos ME 50 Multi Effects

Ruyard
Ruyard
07/01/2003 7:22 am
Reading someones post in here i discovered they had just bought the Boss ME-50 Multieffects board.

Im wondering if anyone else has this and if theve had any extreme noise problems?

I bought it a week ago to use the great effects to go along with my AMP.

I have a Marshall AVT 150 Half stack and was looking to use the overdrive from my amp with the modulation and delay effects from the board i.e. not really use the boards 10 or so distortion pedals but just add affects to my sound which im happy with.

Now using the clean channel and using the board was fine but once you hit the overdrive channels on my amp an unnacceptable level of noise comes out of the amp. Its almost like i have a thousand pedals in front of the amp and the signal is messy from the thousand connections.

No i wasnt using the Board distortion plus the overdrive, i didnt even have to have the board active but if it was plugged in and i hit the overdrive channel it was terrible. I had to return it as it was unusable unless i used its distortion through my clean channel.

Has anyone else had this problem or can you use your amps overdrive channel with this particular board? The Noise Supressor did nothing to stop the noise.
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
07/07/2003 6:43 am
in what order did you plug it in? i dont think that its a good idea to put a signal that comes from an effects board (which does some pre-amplifying) into the overdrive of a huge amp...

Actually the dude who was writing about the Boss was me - i have had NO problem at all with the board. Why the hell would someone who buys a multieffectsboard that provides a large variety of distortion sounds use the overdrive of some amp? if you like that particular sound you should consider buying a plain simple reverb or delay stompbox

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
Ruyard
Ruyard
07/07/2003 11:22 pm
Azrael,

I plugged it in direct from my guitar, guitar-ME50-Amp.

Im glad you have no problems with the board and hope you get some good sounds.

As for why the hell i would buy it with no intention of using the the distortion, let me give you a little example of the cost where i live of buying the effects on there own:
1- Boss Delay $480
2- Boss EQ $260
3- Boss Chorus $330
4- Boss Harmozier $200
Etc Etc Etc for all the effects on the board...

Boss ME 50 $750

It had ALL the effects which sound great and the value unbeatable. I would be crazy NOT to buy the board because it has distortion pedals which i dont want to use, it was still a heck of Alot cheaper than buying the individual pedals which all would have needed power adapters and cables to add to their already high costs.

So i was real dissapointed when i couldnt just ignore the Distortion and use my Amp's as i loved the ME 50, think its great and was very excited. But thats life, i guess.

Trendkillah and Azrael,

Dedicated units look like the way i have to go, just gradually build up the ones i like at the extra cost. Its a shame as the ME 50 effects, to me, really were as good as the individual pedals. I tested both and the Delay has all the ssame knobs and was particularly good.
# 3
Ruyard
Ruyard
07/08/2003 3:15 am
Thanks Trendkillah,

How do you know if it has a pre-amp in it? I dont recall being told that about the ME 50.

A single Multi-fx sounds promising, as i just want to add effects to MY sound.

Behringer Virtualizer Pro, ill check it out.

Thanks again

# 4
Ruyard
Ruyard
07/08/2003 11:44 pm
I seem to be typing this alot , but thanks heaps trendkillah, all good info for me to know so i can make more informed decisions when i spend my money.
# 5
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
07/09/2003 8:36 am
750 BUCKS????????????

i got mine for 300! BRAND NEW - are you sure you are talking about the ME50? or do you mea nthe GT-6?

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 6
Ruyard
Ruyard
07/10/2003 12:19 am
Originally posted by Azrael
750 BUCKS????????????

i got mine for 300! BRAND NEW - are you sure you are talking about the ME50? or do you mea nthe GT-6?

Yeah mate im talking about the ME-50, the effects board with no LED screens and no menus just like one big stomp box.

The GT-6 is $1500 bucks here!

So as you can see it was worth the attempt to ignore the distortion pedals and just try and get that many effects for that price when you look at how much single effects are aswell.

If you ever come to Australia dont come for the sake of trying to buy cheap guitar effects!!!

Boy i wish i could get something like that for $300!!!

Just out of interest what are some prices where you guys are for some single pedals?
# 7
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
07/10/2003 4:00 pm
well - the GT-6 is at about 600 Euro here which is pretty much the same ammount in dollars - for example: the Axxon AX100 Guitar to midi effectsrack (and that thing kicks some SERIOUS ass) costs about 800-900 dollars. according to what you just said it has to be at about 2000 dollars in Oz.. holy crap *deletes Oz from his list of "want to live there" places*

# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/10/2003 5:02 pm
I had a GP20 and an OD20, I sold them both because of two reasons.

1) lame amp modeling
2) Massive amounts of noise

Im surprised to see the OD20 still on the market and not at all surprised to see the GP20 go out of production.

The only Boss pedal I have in the US is a DD6 and that is pretty lame !

I hate Boss pedals !

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.