View post (Engine of Creation)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
06/17/2003 2:54 pm
*Disclaimer* - Please don't take any comments I make the wrong way. I don't mean any offense by anything I say - I'm just offering some brutal criticism you asked for :)

Daisho - The tone of the first guitar is a bit harsh to my ears at the beginning the track, but it's ok once it becomes part of the background. The second guitar lays down a nice rhythm, and the third guitar part is beautiful. The clean guitar is a good breather from all the other distorted guitar. One thing I would suggest is to add a bit more spice to the drums during the harder parts of the song. Another thing that I might change is that rather than repeating the theme of guitar #3 a third time after the second clean part, you could perhaps variate the theme more drastically or introduce a new theme altogether (i.e. - take a solo). Overall, though, the song got and held my attention well. Very good.

Android Guitar - This song starts off well with theme devlopment and motif repetition. When the song kind of stops and picks back up, the picking up seems slow. To me, it takes too long to get back into the theme (50 seconds from drop off to picking back up). Perhaps you could shorten the the part where it's just drums. It seems that the solo lacks the intensity of the main theme - consider pumping up the part from 3:15 - 3:40.

Sapphire - In my opinion, the melody in the beginning could use a bit of a volume boost. In fact, throughout the song the rhythm section seems a bit too loud. I like the ideas a lot, though.

Rusted - I like the rhythm to this song. You've got some good, tasteful playing here. I'd like to hear the rest of this one - very good.

Lotus Carving - I like the driving rhythm near the end of the song, as well as that one sustained note throughout the vocals. My only problem was that I couldn't make out what you were saying because the rest of the song was too loud. That might just be my speakers, but I think the vocals need to come up the mix a bit.

Silver Strand - I like pretty much everything about Silver Strand. Very good job.

"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster