Better Musicianship

Gainer
Gainer
06/16/2003 9:02 pm
Hey,
I'd like to know which band do yuo think has the better songwriting and musicianship. Here are the bands to choose from:
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Alice in Chains
Nirvana
Dream Theater
Audioslave

Please post your replies.
If I leave here tomorrow,
Will you still remember me?
# 1
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
06/16/2003 10:29 pm
Dream Theater.

You can't really compare all of those other bands to Dream Theater. But, IMO, I think that they have all contributed to music greatly. I don't know about Audioslave because I haven't heard too much of their stuff.

Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/16/2003 11:31 pm
Pure Technical Merrit: Dream Theater, hands down.
Songwriting: Alice in Chains, hands down.

For a combination of the two, I would go with Symphony X.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
icecool
icecool
06/17/2003 6:47 am
I'm in love with Dream Theater, so it's them all the way!
# 4
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
06/17/2003 9:10 pm
Ghee.. With that list, which I must say is no where near the cream of the crop in those areas. My opinion with that list, Dream Theatre would come out on top. But metallica wouldn't be very far behind. Like Rask said, dream theatre definitely is better in the technical (musicianship) area but when it comes to songwritting metallica has more classics. Well before they got to be pu$$ies. hehe.

If your to balance them both, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains would be well balanced in both. Neither one were true virtuosos, and neither one had a great deal of songs that would considered great songwritting. Nirvana was terrible in the area of musicianship, anyone who has actually seen them or even live footage knows that Kurt would purposely throw his guitar out of tune, or just not even play the song right. Even the unplugged album is loaded with mistakes, not something you merit true musicianship with. Although in songwritting, many of nirvana songs will go down as classics. There songwritting skills were near genious. Audioslave just hasn't been around long enough, and neither Rage nor Soundgarden can take a top seat in either category. Although I do rock out to both. :)

Now the best without the list. As a band, it would be a tie between The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. I choose these two based on being the best in both categories equally. That's my opinion.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.