A cool gig for the band...

stratgod
stratgod
06/10/2003 9:41 pm
How cool is this fellow twang kings and queens...
The band I devote my spare time to, Alpha Beat (I hear you all laughing at the name but it wasn't my idea), have got our first gig 'blagged' at the Bath And West Showground for those of you who live in South-West-ish England at Shepton Mallet this Friday. We'll be playing a one hour set in the rock 'n roll pavillion at 9pm and if they like us (which we hope they will) then they want us to play on the Sunday's Park open-air concert. On top of this we will be getting a few contacts and one of the best rock 'n roll agents will be their as well as a lot of the local press.
All I can say is that I can't wait 'cos this is gonna be so much fun. There's no money involved for us except the travel but hey, who gives a damn about the money! This is going to be one hell of a night and I'm damn sure gonna try to get this friday off work and if they won't let me for any reasons i'll have to throw a sicky. A very underpaid 18 and a half year old computer engineer is about to embark on the rock 'n roll lifestyle:). There is a god somewhere up their.
I'l haul my Lonestar Strat down their and blast out some Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, The Shadows, a bit of Eagles and a stack load of uncensored blues licks in the hope we can get a lot more gigs out of this oppurtunity and have some fun.
ROCK 'N ROLL!!!
"When I was a kid,all I wanted was a red electric guitar.It had to be red,because of Hank and his magical sound." Mark Knopfler on Hank Marvin.
# 1
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
06/11/2003 2:28 am
Go kick some arse!
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/11/2003 7:55 pm
Cool! You'll have to let us know how it went!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/11/2003 8:56 pm
Go for it dude, I hope you have a great gig !

Only advice I have is dont get drunk before going on stage !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
stratgod
stratgod
06/14/2003 10:58 am
I'll thank you for the support and in the end the gig went fine apart from a few good and bad points. Let us start of with the good points:
1)Apart from a minor mistake and our Beatles I feel Fine going on a bit extra the gig went well and I played pretty good.
2)The crowd took to us and overall, they liked us and got up and boogied.

Now the bad points:
1)Upon arrival we were expecting a pretty small 200 people hall. Instead we got a 1000+ converted cattle warehouse the size of three football pitches, needing a 5000W PA.
2)The drums couldn't be heard so we had to mic them up using a ShureSM58, Samson S12 and Peavey SM58 but the best parts are still to come.
3)The band arrived an hour after me and my dad, the drummer arrived.
4)During the ten minutes we had for a sound check before the DJ got too pissed off my Fender valve amp died. Upon much messing about we established the power amp stage had gone but luckily, and i stress luckily, we output into the pa from my amp. I'm sure there will be a nice repair bill for me.
5)This was a freebie and the organiser said we would be getting a few contacts out of this. The only contact we got was me hitting my head against the wall:)

After all of that and our bass players missus getting pissed off because she didn't know it was a freebie therefore she decided to take a ****-load of trips to the bar, I quite enjoyed myself at the same time being quite annoyed. Ho-hum!
Maybe there's a small lesson to be learned from this, don't bang your head against a wall, get someone else to hit that damn f*****g amp over your head in the hope that it will come back to life:)
We can but hope for better, more organised gigs in the future.
"When I was a kid,all I wanted was a red electric guitar.It had to be red,because of Hank and his magical sound." Mark Knopfler on Hank Marvin.
# 5
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/17/2003 2:37 pm
Go to either http://www.guitarnoise.com or to http://www.musiccareers.net and look around.They've got an article about gigging and all that,and I think it might be helpful.For instance,you should have thought of checking out the venue so you don't get caught like you did.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.