"Tipping" musicians on Fairtunes.com

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/24/2000 12:12 am
I came across this site in the recent issue of Canadian Musician Magazine & thought it looked interesting.
I haven't personally tried it yet so I'm just passing the info along:
---------
If you are one of those people who is against downloading MP3Õs from sites like Napster or if you are feeling a bit guilty about all the MP3Õs youÕve downloaded without paying, Fairtune.com has the answer. This new Canadian-based Web site offers a new way for artists to get paid and in some cases help them survive.
Fairtunes.com is an Internet service that allows digital consumers to voluntarily send money to artists for their work. This site allows fans to ÒtipÓ an artist for their work and you can also include a message. FairtunesÕ goal is the connect fans with artists directly.
Fairtunes came along at a time when digital music has become very popular and many people feel that music sharing sites like Napster will begin to cut into physical record sales. Some even think it will lead to the death of the record store. At Fairtunes they think fans care enough about the success of artists that they will be willing to pay the artists for their work.
On the site they have a search box where you can search for any artist and if the artist you are looking for is not listed you can also add an artist. Then there is an area where you can make a financial contribution to the artist securely with your credit card online or you also have the option to mail Fairtunes a cheque. Fairtunes will locate any artist you specify and forward them the money.
You can check how many contributions have gone to each artist on the site. The minimum contribution is currently 25 cents due to fixed costs involved in credit card transactions.
http://www.fairtunes.com

[Edited by schmange on 11-23-2000 at 07:18 PM]
# 1

11/24/2000 12:46 am
Sounds like a nice idea. I definatly agree with supporting young and upcoming artists, but I don't know if it has any chance of surviving.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.