70s resurrection

Grub
Grub
05/19/2003 2:48 pm

still under 30, I'm getting myself introduced to a lot of 70s rock for the first time. this weekend I picked up a number of earlier Blue Oyster Cult albums on CD. as it is I pretty much like the playing of the lead guitarist Donald Roeser and wonder why he's been overlooked. anyone else from them days deserving of resurrection?
# 1
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
05/20/2003 3:28 pm
Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush (I wonder if his stuff ever made it to cd?). The live album was really good.
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
05/20/2003 9:25 pm
How do you like Blue Oyster Cult? I've only heard the song "Don't Fear The Reaper" and its one of my favorite songs. I haven't heard any other songs by them. What songs would you recommend.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
David C
David C
05/21/2003 12:28 pm
Well, they weren't really overlooked, but . . .

The Marshall Tucker Band is one of the coolest Southern Rock bands ever, and the lead guitar-player, Toy Caldwell (may he Rest in Peace) could really do some "chickin' Pickin'," (southern U.S. slang for hot guitar picking). They are a bit on the country side of Southern Rock, but they mix great song-writing with virtuoso guitar, and I highly recommend them.
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"
# 4
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
05/21/2003 6:04 pm
Originally posted by Tele Master
How do you like Blue Oyster Cult? I've only heard the song "Don't Fear The Reaper" and its one of my favorite songs. I haven't heard any other songs by them. What songs would you recommend.

Burnin For You
Godzilla
Astronomy
Cities on Flame

those and Reaper are my favorite
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 5
Grub
Grub
05/22/2003 10:37 am
Originally posted by zepp_rules
Originally posted by Tele Master

Burnin For You
Godzilla
Astronomy
Cities on Flame

those and Reaper are my favorite

of the studio albums 'Tyranny and Mutation's' my favourite with tracks like 'Hot rails to hell' especially when the guitar riff at the end goes all trebly. Live album 'Some enchanted evening's' excellent esp. 'RU ready to rock', 'Godzilla' and MC5's 'Kick out the Jams'. I wouldnt describe BOC as full-on metal though as they can mellow out.
# 6
Grub
Grub
05/22/2003 10:42 am
Originally posted by David C

The Marshall Tucker Band is one of the coolest Southern Rock bands ever, and the lead guitar-player, Toy Caldwell (may he Rest in Peace) could really do some "chickin' Pickin'," (southern U.S. slang for hot guitar picking). They are a bit on the country side of Southern Rock, but they mix great song-writing with virtuoso guitar, and I highly recommend them.

I've got a real soft spot for Southern/confederate rock too. The Allman Brothers (early days anyway) are legendary. 'Live at Fillmore East' has to be the ultimate guitar jamfest. Early Molly Hatchett were great too, with Dave Hlubek cutting some tasty riffs esp on 'Boogie no more'. What's happening with the Southern scene over in the US these days?
# 7
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/22/2003 10:43 am
I guess it needs more bands like Cream, King Krimson, Gentle Giant (!!!), The Moody Blues, McDonald and Giles, etc

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 8
Grub
Grub
05/22/2003 1:41 pm
Originally posted by Azrael
I guess it needs more bands like Cream, King Krimson, Gentle Giant (!!!), The Moody Blues, McDonald and Giles, etc

Erm...from what Ive heard from these bands, I'll being giving them and their like a wide berth. One of the low points in the history of rock is the European 'prog rock' movement with such pompous, pseudo-classical cak like Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Yes, Gentle Giant, Moody Blues. No apologies here. Who are McDonald and Giles anyway?
# 9
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
05/22/2003 4:33 pm
Not an ELP, Yes, King Crimson, or early Genesis fan ?!?

Most dissapointed.

(how anyone can deny the Yes/Fragile album as not being a historic recording of art, right up there w/Sgt. Pepper, is beyond my conception.)
# 10
David C
David C
05/22/2003 6:38 pm
Grub,

To answer your question about Southern Rock these days: It's still around, just not on the grand scale as with the 70's Lynard Skynard glory days. The Allman Bros. band still tours, and are still damn good. A form of The Marshall Tucker band is still around, but without Toy C., just aren't the same. Warren Haynes and his band Government Mule made "heavy" southern rock in the 90's--I guess they are still together (I'm sure Haynes is still jamming). Then there is Southern Culture on the Skids (S.C.O.T.S. for short), who are legendary in North Carolina for such local hits as "Banana Pudding" and "8-Piece Box," the latter referring to a bucket of Fried Chicken, pieces of which they throw into the audience while they play the song.

As long as Southerners are drinking and playing guitars, there will be Southern rock--until the species dies out in other words!

David
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"
# 11
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/23/2003 7:23 am
Originally posted by Grub

Erm...from what Ive heard from these bands, I'll being giving them and their like a wide berth. One of the low points in the history of rock is the European 'prog rock' movement with such pompous, pseudo-classical cak like Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Yes, Gentle Giant, Moody Blues. No apologies here. Who are McDonald and Giles anyway?

Those bands had more musicality in their little finger than all the modern crap bands together. have you ever listened closely to what they do? i guess not. especially gentle giant are MASTERS of songwriting.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 12
Grub
Grub
05/23/2003 7:55 am
Originally posted by Grub

Those bands had more musicality in their little finger than all the modern crap bands together. have you ever listened closely to what they do? i guess not. especially gentle giant are MASTERS of songwriting.

In fact I've had to. My university roommate loved all that kind of stuff. Maybe they have more kudos in the US. they certainly have had very little cred in the UK. in fact, bands like these are what gave berth to the monster that was punk
# 13
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
05/23/2003 3:01 pm
Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if there is a correlation between a hatred for Progressive "art" rock and a general dislike for keyboards and classical music?

You seem to have a refined taste for talented musicians, I can't grasp why you deny these progressive rockers the respect that they deserve?
# 14
The Razor's Edge
The Razor's Edge
05/23/2003 7:37 pm
Grub,

To answer your question about Southern Rock these days: It's still around, just not on the grand scale as with the 70's Lynard Skynard glory days.

Speaking of Lynyrd Skynyrd, they have scored big time with their new album! One Radio station here said they try to play the song "Red, White and Blue" at least once an hour, because people were constantly calling to request it...!

Later, Razor

"It's a long way to the top, if you wanna Rock N Roll" -- AC/DC
# 15
Grub
Grub
05/28/2003 1:47 pm
Originally posted by chris mood
Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if there is a correlation between a hatred for Progressive "art" rock and a general dislike for keyboards and classical music?

You seem to have a refined taste for talented musicians, I can't grasp why you deny these progressive rockers the respect that they deserve?

Far from having a dislike of keyboard oriented music nothing could be further from the truth. I'm well into the N'awlins style of 'boogie woogie' of players like Meade Lux Lewis and Dr John, top jazz piano whizzes like Art Tatum, fusion maestros like Joe Zawinul,Herbie Hancock & Bernie Worrall and 'electronica' like Underworld. I even quite like some classical. The problem I have with 'prog' is it's too contrived and clever for its own sake, with technique more important than musicality and feeling.
# 16
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
05/29/2003 3:08 pm
"technique more important then musicallity"

I feel the same way towards neo-classical shredders like Yngvie, Kotz, Vai, etc..They only one's I ever found that did anything interesting were Satrianni and Johnson.

Progressive rock may be a bit contrived, but it demanded something from its listeners, which I liked. Plus it produced some great musicians such as Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe, and Bill Bruford.
# 17
Grub
Grub
05/30/2003 9:31 am
Originally posted by chris mood
"technique more important then musicallity"

I feel the same way towards neo-classical shredders like Yngvie, Kotz, Vai, etc..They only one's I ever found that did anything interesting were Satrianni and Johnson.

Progressive rock may be a bit contrived, but it demanded something from its listeners, which I liked. Plus it produced some great musicians such as Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe, and Bill Bruford.

I can't fault the musicianship of the any of the players from groups like Genesis, Yes, ELP etc. All pretty much virtuosos some of which have gone on to do some good stuff e.g. Bill Bruford's Earthworks and Steve Howe's 'Masterpiece Guitars' with Martin Taylor. For me, most proggy groups happened to be less than the sum of their parts. I agree with what you say re: Malmsteen. Cant stand his stuff although he is technically gifted. Not sure I'd count Steve Vai, Eric J or Satch as neo-classical shredders although they do like the old legato phrasings.
# 18
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
05/30/2003 2:17 pm
My vote goes to LYNARD SKYNARD!
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 19
metalisbest
metalisbest
06/02/2003 3:01 pm

Marshall Tucker Band really rocks. Check them out.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.