What is the structure of songwritting

Frost999
Frost999
05/17/2003 6:19 pm
What is the structure of songwritting when forming a song, please send example
Blood, is what makes me a true vampire. Darkness, is what makes me a God.
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
05/17/2003 8:09 pm
Chord Progressions dewd. Just look at any piece of sheet music you may have, and you'll see stuff like "Gmaj7" above the staff. That's the chord progression of a song. Songwritters use those as building blocks for writting a song. They are the backbone of every song. Melody and harmony are all build from the chord progression of a song. Understanding them and how to apply them is alot deeper. I suggest looking into music theory studies if you want to know more.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/17/2003 8:37 pm
In rock/pop in it's basic form:

Intro
Verse
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Bridge
Lead
Chorus
Repeat Chorus & End.

A lot of people try to change the basic premise but it usually ends up coming back to that.
If you stick to that sequence, you can always cut and paste it into a different order later with your audio software.
As far as chords go. If it's written on guitar, more than likely it's in A or E cause those are the keys most guys know their scales in. On piano it's usually C.
You'll see an endless repeat of chord structures like: G, Em, Am, D7 or A, G, F, E used in hundreds of songs. In country songs expect to see a lot of C, F, C, G
or G,F,G,C,D
Of course the more you learn about chords and scales and the more styles you can play in, the more you know about different beats, and how certain instruments work together the better off you'll be. Mainly because you'll either come up with something truly original that stretches the boundaries, or do something new with the old tried and true methods above.

# 3
toolfreak001
toolfreak001
05/27/2003 7:10 pm
okay, here's the thing. There are often times a particular structure to songs. And if there isn't, it'll be a mess. but SOMETIMES, you WANt a mess. It all depends on what the song needs. How you want the song to make someone feel, or yourself feel. It's all about emotion. Just do what feels right. A lot of the times there are no particular "verses" or "chorus"...if you've ever listened to a Tool song, one would realize this. My personal theory is that a song should "build" and then climax. An example to this are the rock GOD's pink floyd. Some of their songs go for 15 mins, and there's no particular chorus or verse arrangement, just an overall theme.

Anyway, don't submit yourself to the average radio mold of verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, ect. Just do what feels right for that particular peice.
# 4
Gainer
Gainer
06/16/2003 8:57 pm
Most songs go as schmange said. But,there are alternatives:
Intro
Verse
Verse
Prechorus
Chorus
Verse
Prechorus
Chorus
Solo
Chorus
Outro (which may be the chorus again or a solo)
If I leave here tomorrow,
Will you still remember me?
# 5
Grub
Grub
06/20/2003 8:56 am
as long as there's a build up to a climax, that's all that truly matters, as in many things in life heh heh. if youlisten to some songs and wonder why they're great it's usually because there's that solo, breakdown, whatever that you get excited about, that you want to skip to straight away. not that Im a fan but a classic example is Phil Collins 'In the air tonight'..that drum bit! songs that seem boring are usually because theyre flatlining, there's no anticipation for the 'best bit'. just listen to the dirges are that 'where do you go to my lovely' and 'American pie' you'll see what I mean.
# 6
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
06/20/2003 11:15 pm
Yeah building to a climax is very important and it has awesome effects when it comes to composition. My favorite is when the melody builds with one instruments playing it real soft to an entire symphony blasting it. Like the beginning of Ode to joy. Good stuff! A theory proven by Bach was it's not where you begin that makes the song, it's where you end. Getting to the end is the idea of composition, the route you take to get there is your own style but the end is what defines the song. That's why almost every song ends on the root or tonic. Although this is an idea that is almost lost in modern music. The best way to write a truely unique song is just to write from beginning to end and not care what the structure is, just go with it. Also using variations is a good idea if your songs\ only has 1 or 2 main themes.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.