Singers: overrated and acquired tastes...

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/12/2003 8:11 pm
It seems to me that there are a lot of people who think that some singers are great, but to me, they're horrible. Also, there are some singers who, at first, I thought fit into the first category, but the more I listened, the more I got into their style and actually began to enjoy them.

Here's my list:

[u]Overrated[/u]
1. Burt Cummings (The Guess Who)
2. Chris Robinson (The Black Crowes)
3. Raine Maida (Our Lady Peace)
4. Scott Stapp (Creed)

[u]Acquired tastes[/u]
1. Bob Dylan
2. Bono
3. Janis Joplin
4. Roger Waters
5. Neil Young

What does your list look like?
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
05/12/2003 10:26 pm
Well I´m not an expert but the best singer I ever heard is F. Mercury (R.I.P.) Now I know that he wasen´t as good live as he was on albums but his voice combined with his stage preformence live made him the king not to mention his voice on all Queen albums.

He mastered evrything, high, low, gospell, rock, pop, 50´s rock n´ roll, blues...simply the best!!!
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
05/13/2003 12:06 am
Acquired:
Mick Jagger(it took me a while to get used to the 70's stuff)
Neil Young and Bob Dylan for sure
Many Blues singers
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
Beal
Beal
05/13/2003 12:34 am
Roger Waters fer sure, he rules, umm Tim Armstrong for Rancid(does he sing on Operation Ivy too?) he rules also, Robert Plant no doubt about it
Not a Pro, Just like guitar
# 4
Grub
Grub
05/13/2003 8:38 am
One of the reasons I like virtuoso guitar music is that it doesnt need vocals to screw it up. Some like Steve Vai have ended up making less good CDs because of cak efforts at singing. Second half of 'Fire Garden'? Satch just about pulls it off on 'Flying..'.

For me there are very few decent singers in rock. i find Freddie Mercury's style over the top.
overrated? all those divas that are more interested in vocal acrobatics than sounding tuneful. Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion etc for me are the Malmsteens of singing. technically perfect but soulless.

great singers are not those than have a 3 octave range and can shatter glass with a top C. great singers are the ones that can have you crying in your beer. Scott Walker, Righteous Brothers, Mamas & the Papas and most of the Soul greats from the 60s and 70s
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.