My new(er) songs, please listen!

Zack Katz
Zack Katz
04/14/2003 6:30 pm
My newest song is about president Bush. It's an instrumental with a soundclip. Influenced, though not copied from, Mogwai. Sounds like a mix of Mogwai and GSYBE! combined with my style.
http://www.zackkatz.com/songs/mourntheflag.mp3 -- Mourn the Flag

I've also fine-tuned another song, http://www.zackkatz.com/songs/forwardintoprayer.mp3 -- Forward Into Prayer, which is a blues/The Doors/Nick Cave song about approaching death.

Please critique as much as possible. I appreciate the input last time.

--==Zack==--
wearing autumn colors, she says
"one more leaf and it is winter"
one more love, and i am lost

www.zackkatz.com/songs/
# 1
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
04/14/2003 7:51 pm
Sounds like you go out of time occasionally. The vocals are kind of dry...could really use some reverb. I thought the instrumental song was alright though.
# 2
Zack Katz
Zack Katz
04/14/2003 8:37 pm
on most of my songs, i like to keep to a beat. with this one, however, i wanted to make it more emotionally driven by having it speed up and slow down...seeing it from that perspective, do you think it works? or should i go for straight 4/4 all the way?

www.zackkatz.com/songs/
# 3
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
04/14/2003 8:45 pm
You don't have to go for 4/4...you can pick any time signature. I understand what you're talking about, but the average listener may think that going out of time is a mistake by the musician. Rather than having people think you're a hack, I'd say it's probably safer keeping in the pocket. Slowing down and speeding up within a song requires great precision between all band members or it can come out sloppy. Unless you're going for the 'aleotoric' thing...
# 4
Zack Katz
Zack Katz
04/14/2003 9:58 pm
I am the band so far...Working it out solo right now. Once the album's done, I have four friends who want to do something with me, which will be an exciting prospect.
But for right now, I like having the loose signature cause it's really cool to jam with and fiddle around with.

www.zackkatz.com/songs/
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.