floyd rose problem

Displacer
Displacer
04/08/2003 1:57 am
hey guys

I have a problem with my floyd rose setup...when I first got it it was fine but when I restrung it the tremolo bar raised WAY out the back...I thought it was going to snap off

i've tried down tuning everyting and working with the thickhest strings but that didnt work, I've tried unscrewing the back to push the strings back but that didn't work, I tried locking the thicker strings when they were in tune but that didn't work

the problem MIGHT have been when i restrung it, I just read that your supposed to give it a 45 degree angle of slack from the bridge before you start winding.

my question is, do u think this is the problem (before i go buy new strings, again) and if i give it slack will it fix the tremolo's height

seriously it sucks to solo on my guitar, the strings are almost an inch off the fretboard after the 12th fret..i needa solution, fast!

thanks

Displacer
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
04/08/2003 2:18 pm
That's the problem that every Floyd Rose user faces at the beginning !

It's not the way you strung your guitar , I guess you changed the string's gauge ... Probably your guitar came with a [0.009-0.042] set of strings , and you re-strung it with a .010's so the tension increased rasinig the bridge from it's normal position.

There are two solutions :

1) Get a [0.009-0.042] pack of strings.

2) Open the back cover on your guitar , you'll find the Floyd Rose bridge "Springs" clawed and screwed into the body with two big screws ... Usualy you'll find three springs , so you can add another one or two ... For a .010's I'd have 4 springs , for a .011's I'd like to have have 5 srpings .
Or you can tighten the screws holding the springs more into the body , till your bridge is in it's position (almost parallel to the guitar body).
# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
04/08/2003 2:20 pm
When the tremolo is to high above the body of the guitar its because either the string tension is too low (try a lighter gauge) or the springs in the back produce too litte tension - try adding a spring or two. the tremolo should paralell to the body of the guitar. Also try adjusting the screws in the body where the springs are fixed - screw them further in ot produce some extra spring-tension.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.