Modified Gibson?

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
04/04/2003 8:16 pm
I have an opportunity to buy a Gibson 1983 X-plorer 3.
however it has been modified...Instead of the orginal pickups ( 3 P-90/soapbars) it now has one P-90 and One humbucker on the bridge.
I can get it for about R6000 which is about 700USD.
Is it worth it?
I can also get a Les Paul Special for a little bit more...brand new.
Any Gibson afficianados here?
Tell me what is good to look for in a Gibson...

Or could someone let me know of other guitars I may wanna try in this price range.( up to about 1000USD )
Thanks.
Andrew
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 1
sithgt6
sithgt6
04/04/2003 10:08 pm
Get the LP - that's what I'd do.

Can verify the history of the guitar? Is it exactly what you are looking for? Is it the only way that you can acquire a specific make/model you're after?

All of these questions and more cross my mind when looking through used guitars. Like anything used - it may or may not come with a whole new world of problems to solve, whereas a new one should have some sort of warranty to protect you against some of the things that can go wrong.

I bought a brand new Gibson SG and found that the neck wa cracked and got it replaced free of charge. That just doesn't happen when buying used.

As for other guitars - go and play some - find what fits and feels good in your hands, it's the only way to be sure.

D.
# 2
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
04/05/2003 8:19 pm
Yeah...on the X-plorer...I would be able to get the history on the guitar as the guy selling it is a real big time collector. He has many gibsons. So anything I buy from him will be in great condition.
The Lp is new, but it is really the bottom of the range.
I`ll keep my cash firmly in my pocket till I am 100% certain of what I want.
Thanks for your help
Andrew
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.