Paul Reed Smith and related

Slow Diver
Slow Diver
03/31/2003 8:10 pm
Well, being a devoted Dave Navarro fan, and having the cash(or at least I will have it soon) I am considering a PRS. What do you think about those guitars? I have the feeling that this brand is kind of being treated as a one of the trademarks of new metal and if you play this guitar you are considered a 12year-linkin-park fan?
What do you guys think about these guitars?
Also which brands would you recommend for playing alternative rock, style similar to Jane's Addiction, Primus, Sonic Youth, Incubus, Soundgarden mmmm, Asian Dub Foundation and some other crazy independent stuff.
Also I am thinking about a Fender Jazzmaster and some Carvin. Are these better than a PRS? I am really bad at brands. Here in Bulgaria there is not a single gutar shop in which you can find any of those models and actually try them to see what fits for you. There are only sqiers and occasionally some Yamahas and Ibanezes. Some 80% of guitarplayers here play Squiers.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2003 10:24 pm
I have a PRS CE24 and it is wonderful !

I didn’t get the custom as it makes the same noises as the CE's though has the bird inlays (and costs more).

As Im more interested in the way the guitar sounds than the way it looks I went for the CE.

It is quite simply the best guitar I have played !

(Prev. Overwater, Gordon Smith, Fender, Lag, etc etc.)

I payed 1700 USD (list 2500 USD) and dont regret one cent !

Check out the reviews on Harmony Central !

Im thinking of getting an LP and quite honestly I'll be very surprised if it is better than the PRS !

Don’t expect it to sound like a strat or an LP and just enjoy the way it sounds. I personally love the vintage / Hot Fat Screams (HFS) pickup combination.

I couldn’t be happier with mine and I cant recommend them more highly. I play everything from Blues to Punk and it is a great all rounder !

Check out http://www.trinkit.net/Dreaming.mp3

I have 5 fender guitars (Mex, Tex-Mex and USA strat, a 72 reissue Tele and a 12 string) and the PRS is in a different league ! Mind you a CE24 is nearly twice the price of any of the Fender guitars I own.

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
04/01/2003 7:12 am
Yes, I don't expect of this guitar to be like a strat or a LP. That is basically what I am looking for -- something different than those two sounds.
Well, thank you for your opinion, I appreciate it.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
04/04/2003 5:30 pm
I own a PRS custom 22 and it is awsome! I think the pickups on the 24 like Dr. Simon has are a little hotter than the 22, but either way they are both amazing guitars. mine has a flamed top and moon inlays instead of the birds and I paid around $1800 US. It is very versatile and very responsive. I play everything from blues to hard core stuff and it plays flawlessly at all levels.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
04/04/2003 8:02 pm
all
You lucky bastards with Prs guitars...I have only got a
Prs Catalogue to look at...man are those some beautiful guitars. Here is South Africa Prs guitars are damn expensive
from about R22000 up ( thats about 2 500 USD ) except the Tremonti and Santana Se guitars that go for about 1000 Usd.
But I have played a standard 22 and it was beautiful...definately different to a strat and a Les Paul...In fact it kills a Les Paul. If you can afford a Prs then Get one.
Yes alot of new metal guiatists play Prs, but so does Santana...NiN were using Prs in the early nineties alredy as were Primus etc...they are awesome guitars.
Andrew
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 5
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
04/09/2003 3:52 am
The PRS McCarty was probably one of the nicest sounding/playing solidbody guitar I ever played. If I wasn't so devoted to the 7-string I would definetly get one.
# 6
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
04/11/2003 10:49 pm
What's stopping you Chris...PRS makes a 7 string in the custom shop...:)

WHOOPS...Didn't mean to make you drool on your keyboard :)

[Edited by hairbndrckr on 04-11-2003 at 06:13 PM]
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 7
kingdavid
kingdavid
04/16/2003 11:38 am
Originally posted by Andrew Sa
all
You lucky bastards with Prs guitars...I have only got a
Prs Catalogue to look at...man are those some beautiful guitars. Here is South Africa Prs guitars are damn expensive
from about R22000 up ( thats about 2 500 USD )...

At least you get to see them.Here in Kenya,they are so expensive,the music stores don't bother stocking them;the potential price tags would draw people as much as the national parks around here do.It would be a sight to behold.
# 8
nasum_human
nasum_human
04/16/2003 10:06 pm
hey, I've not been on here in so long, getting divorced and fighting over kids is a messy thing, but enough about me, i noticed this thread, and i have a PRS singlecut, it's frankly the best guitar I've ever played, it cost me around £2000 and I play it through a roland cube30 amp, it does rock, metal, blues, funk, jazz and anything else you throw at it equally well, the basic sound is not dissimilar to a les paul, but I found the sound to be slightly richer and not quite as dark. I'd reccomend a PRS for anything you want to play!

guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)
# 9
kingdavid
kingdavid
04/17/2003 12:53 pm
Originally posted by nasum_human
...getting divorced and fighting over kids is a messy thing...

Which is what makes me happy,in a perverted way,that my mom and the guy that fathered me separated while I was still a toddler.
About guitars,those Gretsh hollow thigns really look nice.Has anyone here seen or played the Angelico Excel archtop?I wonder how it sounds,coz it looks very sexy to me.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.