Midi Question

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/22/2003 12:22 pm
OK gang, my turn to ask a question regarding Midi.

My other half has a Roland EP97 electric piano, which has Midi in and a Midi out ports. I want to hook this beast up to a sound module (I think) and use it as a midi controller to simulate bits of orchestra (Spp Horns and a string section). I don’t mind doing this live as Im going into a Korg DAW.

How do I do this ? Is it as simple as connecting the two units with a couple of Midi cables and running a line from the out put of the sound module to the desk ?

Do I need to use a sequencer?

Who makes sound modules and how much am I going to have to pay?

Is this a hard or an easy thing to do?

I have seen modules by Emu and for between 300-600 USD on line, is this in the ball park.

I don’t want to drop 600 bucks on a bit of kit (that I think I need) only to discover that, having discovered 10 problems that I wasn’t previously aware existed, I need a totally different bit of kit!

Many thinks
Simon

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/24/2003 11:11 am
Its basically very easy - connect the soundcard with the midicables to the keybaord and then, as you said, connect the output of the roland with the input of your mixer/soundcard. Depending on the software you use this might work right away or you might have to select the propper midi-device first (depending on soundcard and software).

yOu need to use a programm(sequencer) that sends midi-signals ot the keyboard (of course).

A midi-module is basically nothing more than a keyboard without keys. you´ll get most keyboards as soundmodules too - i bet there is a Roland EP97 sound-module out there.

oooor you get logic audio and there you have heaps of sound-stuff included.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/24/2003 1:51 pm
I think I have found an even easier way: simply connect the midi out of the keyboard to the Midi in of the sound module and the output of the sound module to the DAW.

I’m going for a Roland JV1010 and, if any one has any experience with this beast I'd love to know what you think. I had a look on Harmony Central and people seemed to love it or hate it and for 400 bucks, relative to EMU kit, well the price is right!

This way I can pass on the sequencer, though I may get me one at a later date if I run our of tracks on the DAW (may even check out recording onto computers and get a soft sequencer)!

Cheers
S
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.