Wanna play to TABs

shootcraps
shootcraps
04/15/2023 4:06 am

Hi Everybody.  I've gone through Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2 and am in the Rock course and it's going well.  I've made great progress with chords.

Soloing on my own is not what I want to do right now.  I really want to play solos in TABs to my favorite song like Jane, Somewhere Out There, Love Comes Walking In, Kickstart my Heart.  But when I try, I'm feeling that it's really hard.

Other than knuckling down and practicing the TAB until I get it, is there something I can start practicing to make it easier to master the TAB?

Thanks!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/15/2023 4:55 pm

This depends entirely on your current skill level & understanding of the music.

In one sense, you are right: there is no other way to learn to play some given piece of music without knuckling down & doing the repetitious practice that the piece requires to learn it.

But if a piece is well beyond your current skill level, then it might be more productive to work on some basic lead skills (playing single note lines, practicing scale patterns & techniques like bending, legato, etc.) that are used in most rock solos.  Then as you gradually build your skills try some of the solos you want to play.  

Either way it's a whole lot of repetitious practice until those physical motions become second nature.

So what is your current skill level?  Are there solos you can already play?  Some you are working on but can't yet?

You could just work through the Rock course doing all the lead guitar material.  Look for everything that shows the skills you need to play solos.  I also have a lot of tutorials on building those skills.  For example.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/914/

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1614/

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
shootcraps
shootcraps
04/15/2023 11:25 pm

Thanks Christopher!  I have a very good understanding of the music as I took piano for a while and I've been working on guitar on-and-off for many years.  I haven't accomplished any solos yet.  I've been following the lessons linearly.  I'm in the barre chord section now.  I knew I was weak on chords and strumming so I've been working on that and become much better.

I'm going to take your advice and switch over to the lead section for a while.  And I'll take a look at your lessons too.  

Vincent.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/16/2023 2:52 pm

You're welcome!  Playing lead guitar in general requires you to develop a repertoire of specific licks.  The more you learn the licks of any given guitarist, the more you see they have reuse a set of standard ideas with variation.  So the more little set licks you learn, the more solos you learn, gradually the next ones become easier as you acquire the skills to play that set of ideas.

Please ask more as necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.