Blues Riff: Movin' It Up The Neck!

tgamann
Full Access
tgamann
Full Access
02/16/2023 2:52 am

In this lesson, Anders M bars with the index finger and frets with his middle finger and pinky. I find it less of a strain to use the ring finger instead of the middle finger - for example, lets say I'm barring the 6th fret, then my ring finger can reach the 8th fret easier than my middle finger, and my pinky has no trouble reaching the 10th fret with my ring finger on the 8th fret. But is it better to use the same fingering as Anders? For example, might we want the ring finger to be free for some technique I have not learned yet?

# 1
msujithareddy.88
msujithareddy.88
12/18/2023 8:01 am

Anders M prefers the index finger for bars and the middle finger and pinky for fretting, it's common for players to explore alternative fingerings based on hand size, flexibility, and comfort. Using the ring finger for fretting is entirely acceptable if it feels more comfortable. Fingering choices hinge on personal preference and adaptability. While certain techniques may require a free ring finger, strict adherence to Anders' fingering isn't necessary unless it addresses challenges or limitations in your playing style. Ultimately, the aim is to find a fingering that enables comfortable and efficient playing.

# 5
tjb0501
Full Access
tjb0501
Full Access
01/20/2024 7:25 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: tgamann

In this lesson, Anders M bars with the index finger and frets with his middle finger and pinky. I find it less of a strain to use the ring finger instead of the middle finger - for example, lets say I'm barring the 6th fret, then my ring finger can reach the 8th fret easier than my middle finger, and my pinky has no trouble reaching the 10th fret with my ring finger on the 8th fret. But is it better to use the same fingering as Anders? For example, might we want the ring finger to be free for some technique I have not learned yet?

My two cents. One of the reasons I use Guitar Tricks is to learn how to finger certain chords. As you should know, how and where to finger a chord is usually essential for playing the song consistently (not sometimes correct - always). So, I would finger it the way the instructor tells you until you reach his/her skill set. It's my two cents in the conversation.

# 3
demureput
demureput
01/30/2024 4:35 pm

The choice of fingering in guitar playing often depends on personal comfort, hand anatomy, and specific playing situations. While it's common to see certain fingerings demonstrated, there is room for flexibility and adaptation based on individual preferences.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.