Introduction from Michigan

paulsphotography
Full Access
paulsphotography
Full Access
02/03/2023 7:25 pm

Hello all,

Let me introduce myself.. Im a 78 year old 100% disabled Veteran that started playing a guitar when I was 16. Ive never had any formal training and it shows today!  After receiving my first guitar from my parents when I was 16 (cant remember the model but I know it was probably only about a $10 guitar) I struggled with it until I purchased a 1963 Gibson J45 in Santa Ana, California when I was stationed at the USMC Santa Ana Air Facility. I still have this Guitar. This guitar went thru two tours in Vietnam with me where I played in a squadron band and got pretty good with cords and rythym. I returned from Vietnam in 1968 and got married in December of 1969. After I got married I quit playing and only picked up the Gibson once or twice a year. Then a few years later I wasnt picking it up at all. I have been diagnosed with PTSD and a few years ago the Veterans Administration started a program called Guitars for Vets where you can take 10 lessons for free and after the 10 lessons you recieve a Yamaha Guitar. I made it thru the program with ease. The cord changes came back like riding a bike. I had my 1963 Gibson referbished and have since bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Made in USA 2002 Martin DXM with a pickup and a Zager accoustic electric (which is waiting for a new Aura Pro). In the last two years Ive tried Utube and plenty of other internet sights trying to get better. In the last month Ive joined a jam session at a Disabled Veterans of America and VFW hall about 35 miles away with about 15 to 20 other players. We play Gospel for an hour then Bluegrass and Country for an hour one day a week. I'm becomeing a lot better at cord changes and rythym but I joined Guitar Tricks because I want to learn more than rythym.  I have absolutely no training it theory and I need that I believe to get better.  So far I'm impressed with the site and have signed up for a structured course. Being old and retired I have very little that can keep me away from playing my guitars so with a structured progam I'll be able to devote a few hours a day to playing. I'm looking forward to all this site can teach me!

edited
# 1
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
02/04/2023 2:55 am

Awesome.  Sound like you're geared up. Welcome aboard Devil Dog!

Rumble

# 2
paulsphotography
Full Access
paulsphotography
Full Access
02/04/2023 8:22 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Rumble

Thank you for the reply Rumble Walrus!

# 3
paulsphotography
Full Access
paulsphotography
Full Access
02/04/2023 8:22 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Rumble

Thank you for the reply Rumble Walrus!

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/05/2023 4:50 pm

Dear Paul,

Welcome! You and your guitars have been through a lot, and I am delighted to hear you now have such rich outlets for getting together to play with other folks, and keep the musical spark in you sparkling away!

Wishing you all the best, and some fun "aha moments" as you learn more about rhythm!

Thank you for sharing your story!

Best - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.