Fret Board

David Bacon
Full Access
David Bacon
Full Access
01/03/2023 12:40 pm

Hi. Happy new year everyone.

Does anyone have any tips on memorising all the notes on the fret board or is it a matter of just spending as much time as you can repeatedly going over and over? Regards.

David 

# 1
ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
01/03/2023 2:42 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: David Bacon

Does anyone have any tips on memorising all the notes on the fret board or is it a matter of just spending as much time as you can repeatedly going over and over? Regards.

David 

I found this book very helpful.  "Guitar Fretboard - Memorize the Fretboard in 24 Hours" by Guitar Head.  It took me longer than 24 hours and I'm still not 100% fast, but I'm much further ahead then when I started.  To practice what I learned I use the Guitar Tricks Fretboard Trainer Tool tool in the Tool Box section.

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 2
ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
01/03/2023 2:42 pm

David 

I found this book very helpful.  "Guitar Fretboard - Memorize the Fretboard in 24 Hours" by Guitar Head.  It took me longer than 24 hours and I'm still not 100% fast, but I'm much further ahead then when I started.  To practice what I learned I use the Guitar Tricks Fretboard Trainer Tool tool in the Tool Box section.

edited

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 3
ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
01/03/2023 2:46 pm

Sorry for the double post. I didn't realize I hit reply twice.  I don't see how to delete a post?

Gary

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/03/2023 4:13 pm

David 

It's a matter of 2 things:  learning to recognize the pattern & repetitious practice using & identifying it.

This lesson covers it.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/11526

In my experience, the biggest single problem is that students don't really have a grasp on the system of musical letters in the first place.  So start with that basic system.  There are 7 letters and 5 accidentals.  They repeat in exactly the same way over & again across the guitar.

A - (A#) - B - C - (C#) - D - (D#) - E - F - (F#) - G - (G#) - A

Apply them to the guitar in octaves.

First learn the pattern of the notes on the E string:

E |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
B |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
G |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
D |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
A |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
E |-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|

Now, visualize octaves of that pattern 2 frets & 2 strings higher on the D string; 3 frets & 2 strings higher on the B string.

B |---|---|---|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|---|-B-|
D |---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|
A |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
E |-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|

Next, learn the pattern of the notes on the A string:

A |---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|

Now, visualize octaves of the same letter on the A, G & (high) E strings.

E |---|---|---|---|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|
G |---|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|
A |---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|

So you can learn the pattern of the notes on two strings and then repeat the pattern in octaves from there.

Learn the pattern on the low E string.  It's the same pattern on the high E string as the low E string.  Fill in the accidentals along the way.  Two strings done.  Practice it using barre chord shapes rooted on the E string every day for a week.  

Next week move it over to the D string.  Next week the B string.  4 strings done.

Next week learn the notes on the A string using barre chords rooted there.  5 strings done.  Next week apply it to the G string.

5 weeks all strings memorized!

Hope that helps!

edited
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
David Bacon
Full Access
David Bacon
Full Access
01/04/2023 2:06 pm

Wow. brilliant.

Many thanks for the advice. Sometimes you just need the nudge in the right direction to crack something. Best thing i ever did subscribing to guitar tricks.🎸

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/04/2023 2:50 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: David Bacon

Wow. brilliant.

Many thanks for the advice. Sometimes you just need the nudge in the right direction to crack something. Best thing i ever did subscribing to guitar tricks.🎸

You're welcome.  Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.