weird chord shape

verber001
verber001
12/29/2022 1:56 am

Hello,

I've been playing for years just metal but now I'm trying to play some other stuff....I was playing some rock the other day and ran into a weird shape that was in with a bunch of power chords.  This one is stretched out but your get the general idea of how it's shaped.  I looked in the chord identifier and it couldn't come up with anything.  Does this have a name?  Thanks for the help!

edited
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/29/2022 4:30 pm

That's a strange chord but if you think of it, it's still a D with a sharp 5th. Since the chord has two D's but at an octave, it remains the same chord. That's my guess.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/30/2022 3:03 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: verber001

Hello,

I've been playing for years just metal but now I'm trying to play some other stuff....I was playing some rock the other day and ran into a weird shape that was in with a bunch of power chords.  This one is stretched out but your get the general idea of how it's shaped.  I looked in the chord identifier and it couldn't come up with anything.  Does this have a name?  Thanks for the help!

Any chord can be named by reference to any root note.  Pick a root note & then look at the intervals formed by the distance from that root note to the other notes being used.

The best name for any given chord is the one that helps clearify the musical context it's found in.  So, sometimes the lowest note is the root.  But other times it's better to call it an inversion.

With that in mind, the first chord could be a C6 (no 3rd or 5th).

|------------|
|------------|
|---5-(1)----|
|---7-(6)----|
|---3-(1)----|
|------------|

Or it could be an A minor in first inversion:  Am (no 5th)/C.

|------------|
|------------|
|---5-(3)----|
|---7-(1)----|
|---3-(3)----|
|------------|

The second chord could be a D aug (no 3rd or 5th). 

|------------|
|------------|
|---7-(1)----|
|---8-(#5)---|
|---5-(1)----|
|------------|

Or it could be an Bb major in first inversion:  Bb (no 5th)/D.

|------------|
|------------|
|---7-(3)----|
|---8-(1)----|
|---5-(3)----|
|------------|

To figure out which name is best you would have to know more about the musical context, what chord comes before, after, what is the over all key sig, chord progression.  

This tutorial covers the basics of chord theory.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/148

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.