Acoustic Tones with Amps

john_m_clinton
Full Access
john_m_clinton
Full Access
12/19/2022 1:55 am

New player here but I love the tones of acoustic guitar with amplification.  I enjoy listening to the music of Marco Cirillo.  His tone is warm, surrounding and emotional. I know it takese skill to get that too, but can you offer me some basic understing of how to set up my amp?  I am working with a 100 amp Boss Katana Artist and the guitar is a Gibson Gwriter BC.  Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BTW my GuitarTricks instructor is Anders Mouridsen.  I enjoy the lessons a greast deal.

# 1
fosliffebernie
fosliffebernie
04/27/2023 11:31 am

Hello,

It's great to hear that you're enjoying playing guitar and exploring different sounds! Here are some basic tips for setting up your amplifier to achieve a warm, emotional tone:

1. Start with a clean tone: Before adding any effects or distortion, make sure your amplifier is set to a clean tone. This will provide a clear foundation for the other effects you'll add.

2. Adjust the EQ: Play around with the equalization (EQ) settings on your amplifier to find a balance that works for you. For a warm tone, try boosting the bass and cutting some of the treble. Experiment with different settings until you find a sound that you like.

3. Add reverb: Reverb can help create a sense of space and depth in your sound. Start with a small amount of reverb and gradually increase it until you achieve the desired effect.  HISD Connect

4. Use a compressor: A compressor can help even out the levels of your playing, making your tone more consistent and sustaining. Start with a low compression ratio and adjust as needed.

5. Experiment with other effects: Depending on the sound you're going for, you might also want to experiment with other effects like chorus, delay, or distortion. Be careful not to overdo it, though - too many effects can muddy your sound.

Overall, the key to getting a warm, emotional tone is to experiment and find what works best for you. And of course, as you mentioned, developing your playing skills will also play a big role in achieving the sound you're after. Keep practicing and experimenting, and you'll get there! hope so it is useful.

edited
# 2
r.a.monfergusonw55005
r.a.monfergusonw55005
06/28/2023 10:03 am

As i know before dialing in any effects or additional settings, begin with a clean tone from your amp. This will serve as your foundation for building your desired tone. 

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.