I must put more into it!

That-man
Full Access
That-man
Full Access
12/17/2022 11:42 am

Hi Everyone,

I've been making weak attempts to master the guitar for many years now by diping into it and trying to get better. Most of my efforts are through the winter as my main hobby, cycling, takes a back seat.

So, I've renewed my subscription from December and I feel that I must make more of an efffort now. Having something to focus on I'm finding is really key and I really hope my frustrations don't get the better of me again.

Well I'm still working my way around the GuitarTricks set up but it does look very good and comprehensive, there is certainly enough to keep me entertained. 

I'll keep dropping bye every now and then just to let you know I'm still trying to improve. šŸ‘

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/17/2022 3:10 pm

Good luck. Just take your time and learn at your own pace. Persistance and regular practice pays off.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
mjgodin
mjgodin
12/17/2022 5:48 pm

Hi there and welcome,

As you discovered there is an enormous amount of info here. Once you've explored it all I would suggest either starting at fundamentals or pick a style you like and stick to one lesson at a time. That will really help enforce the foundational skills and help alleviate some of the fustration. Also learn some songs even if there easy ones. That keeps it fun and motivating. Good Luck,

Moe

# 3
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
12/18/2022 1:59 am

I agree with Moe & William; don't be discouraged. It can take up to 2 years just to reach intermediate level on violin....the guitar is relative. Instrument learning is a lifetime milestone achievement. Enjoy the journey, as well as the destination!

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 4
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
12/19/2022 12:54 am

Ditto all of the above.  I've just finished my second year here and signing up for a third.  Looks like I'll be here for a while.

Rumble

# 5
That-man
Full Access
That-man
Full Access
12/27/2022 11:43 am

Thanks everybody I'm looking forwards to hopefullly following your words and improving. So lets keep having Fun.

# 6
Hank1974
Full Access
Hank1974
Full Access
12/27/2022 3:00 pm

I received a guitar last Christmas and I've been really bad about sticking to a routine and putting the time in.
I was really bad this summer, barely touching it, but I really want to start going again.
Any advice out there? Should I just follow along with the lessens and keep at that? Any regular practice drills or plans I should be following?

I find myself getting frustrated because I just can't make my fingers do what I want them to do. I'm horrendous with my pinky. I have long fingers but I have very little flex in them so anytime I'm forced to use my pinky in a four-fret combo, it sounds like a cat being beaten by a baby.

Maybe I should just start from scratch with the beginner lessens, do one lessen per day and then go from there.
My dream is to be able to play Simple Man and Ain't Talkin Bout Love without my family wishing they weren't born with ears.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.