View post (New guitar setup)

View thread

Sean2525
Sean2525
12/09/2022 1:05 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: mjgodin

Hi and welcome. 

I've had a few squiers myself and there usually pretty good off the shelf as is. At this stage of your learning it's probably fine,  but as you get closer to the end of GF 1 and onto GF 2 then you might want to bring it in and have a setup done. This would probably involve a string change so you can even wait on that until then unless current strings are really discolored and rough to the fingertips. If not play on and when you bring it in for the setup tell them to put light gauge strings and lower the action. The action is the distance between the frets and the strings. The lower the better cause you wont have to press down on strings so hard and it will be easier to play. They should also clean the frets, adjust the truss rod if necessary and check intonation. At that point your guitar will serve you well for a long while.  Well at least unti you get your first attack of GAS, but that's another topic all together. 😎

Enjoy the lessons,

Moe

Hi Moe and thanks for the input - it all sounds like good advice to me 👍

I take it GAS stands for Guitar Acquisition Syndrome? If so I have the turntable equivalent and yes I'm already eyeing up other guitars 😄