slipping guitar

Mathew Bulldog Jones
Full Access
Mathew Bulldog Jones
Full Access
11/22/2022 9:54 pm

Hello eveyone

I am new to guitar playing and have an issue holding imy guitar in my lap properly. When I play, my guitar wants to slides backwards in my lap and I wind up strumming over the fret board instead of over the sound hole, Any advice to prevent this?

edited
# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
11/22/2022 11:32 pm

G'day,

Edited: Just noted you mentioned soundhole. Scratch electric.

What kind of guitar is it you are having problems with? Acoustic Dreadnought? Shape, balance, size and bulk matter. 

Dreadnoughts are a personal physical size/fit thing. Their body bulk is just too uncomfortably big for me seated. My preferred solution is to avoid them. When I do play my Dread, I play standing, with a strap obviously. 

edited
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/23/2022 12:34 am

What manXcat said.

Oh yeah... strap while sitting, too.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/23/2022 12:07 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: Mathew Bulldog Jones

Hello eveyone

I am new to guitar playing and have an issue holding imy guitar in my lap properly. When I play, my guitar wants to slides backwards in my lap and I wind up strumming over the fret board instead of over the sound hole, Any advice to prevent this?

manXcat & john of MT are exactly right:  use a strap.  That's what it's for.  The other option is to play classica style with a foot rest.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/14819

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.