G13 Chord, Gmaj13 Chord

anthm
anthm
11/05/2022 11:35 pm

Hello

Thank you in advance,

On The GT chord finder, the G13 chord shows an F note, I was wondering if this should be an F# as in the Major 7th degree rather than the minor 7th degree.

I was thinking Root M3 P5 M7 M13 or G B D F# E 

Maybe Omit 5 to make it more comfortable on the guitar.

Thanks again

Kind Regards

Anthony

edited
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/06/2022 3:38 pm

G13 and Gmaj13 are two different chords.  And the chord finder only has G13.  But you have the right idea.

G13 is a dominant chord.  The dominant is implied in standard naming:  any chord with just a number (7, 11, 9, 13) is a dominant.  And dominant chords have a minor 7th.

1 - M3 - 5 - m7 - 9 (2) - 11 (4) - 13 (M6)

Gmaj13 has a major 7th.  That's what the "maj" indicates.  Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
anthm
anthm
11/06/2022 7:17 pm

Thank you, Christopher

That makes good sense now thankyou. Further to the conversation, like a Triad chord needs either a b3 or M3 to define it. An extended chord needs the 7th to define it either the b7 or M7.......

So Although I see it acceptable to Omit the 5th degree in lots of chords on guitar due to ergonomic reasons. Dropping the 7th degree on these extended chords wouldn't work. I'm guessing without a 7th degree they then become add chords. In our example a Gadd13.

I think I got all that correct.

Thanks again

Anthony

edited
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/06/2022 9:04 pm

That is all good thinking. 

Complete extended harmony chords are often impractical to voice on guitar.  For that matter they are frequently not even voiced as theoretically idealized in any music. Their primary function is to have a unique identifying name for a collection of pitches that occur together.  And because some jazz & classical pieces have those extended notes beyond the basic triad, this became the standard naming convention.

As you mention, some notes are left out as a matter of stadard practice.  And it's at the players, or composers, discretion or intention to decide which ones are important to have or leave out based on the music context.

I've seen situations in which the 7th is omitted.  But the 9th or 11th is included along with the 3rd & 13th.  So the best name for it is still a major 13th chord.  But as you say, if it's only the 13th being added, then it's more precise to just say it's an added 6th, or added 13th chord.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
janettabloomquist
janettabloomquist
03/09/2023 10:43 am

Yes, you are correct. The G13 chord should include an F# (the major 7th) instead of an F (the minor 7th). The correct notes in the G13 chord would be G, B, D, F#, and E.

To make it more comfortable to play on the guitar, you could consider omitting the fifth (D) and only playing the other four notes: G, B, F#, and E. This will still give you the essential character of the chord without making it too difficult to play.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.