The tuner or the strings fault?

gaanglatihan
gaanglatihan
11/05/2022 12:34 pm

Hi, 

I'm newbie here, very sorry if my question just a standard question and everyone knows it. I have two questions:

FYI, just bought electric guitar.

1. Should I replace the originally strings from the shop that came with the guitar?

2. When I've done tuned my guitar properly using tuner then I played the guitar for couple hours and I just curioused when I heard the strings tone it feels alright/properly but when I tried using my tuner just for checking, the 6th string for example should be E but it changed to G (using tuner). I'm just wondering if the tuner is wrong or the string is wrong (I'm using cheap tuner - Aroma) or both wrongs?

Thank you gracefully for some advices🙏

I'm a beginner using electric guitar.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/05/2022 1:24 pm

Are the strings still shiny & silver?  Are there any grey or black (nickel oxide) places on them?  Do they feel smooth or rough?  These are some of the things to look for when deciding to change the strings.  You also need to make sure the strings are wound tightly around the tuner posts so they don't slip out of tune easily when playing.

It seems odd that the E string went to G.  That either means the string went way dow in pitch (maybe the windings at the tuner post or the bridge got loose).  Or the string went up in pitch which seems very unlikely.

This tutorial covers all those possible problem areas:  what to look for in string life, when & how to change the strings, how to do it effectively to make sure your guitar stays in tune.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/24112

If you don't want to deal with any of that, then take it back to the shop & pay them to check the guitar & put a new set of strings on it.  Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
gaanglatihan
gaanglatihan
11/05/2022 6:44 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Are the strings still shiny & silver?  Are there any grey or black (nickel oxide) places on them?  Do they feel smooth or rough?  These are some of the things to look for when deciding to change the strings.  You also need to make sure the strings are wound tightly around the tuner posts so they don't slip out of tune easily when playing.

It seems odd that the E string went to G.  That either means the string went way dow in pitch (maybe the windings at the tuner post or the bridge got loose).  Or the string went up in pitch which seems very unlikely.

This tutorial covers all those possible problem areas:  what to look for in string life, when & how to change the strings, how to do it effectively to make sure your guitar stays in tune.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/24112

If you don't want to deal with any of that, then take it back to the shop & pay them to check the guitar & put a new set of strings on it.  Hope that helps!

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, after I read your reply I immediately went to the store with my electric guitar and my tuner, after the seller checked the strings, bridge and other things there are no problems, the problem he found was in my cheap tuner. The strings still good and nothing wrong with my guitar tones.

My cheap tuner (only $2,56) was not very accurate, sometimes it's showed G, and after a while it's changed to E. So I bought "again" a good enough tuner although the price is quite expensive.

The seller said if I'm still learning and without a private tutor he suggested that I should not buy cheap stuff or I'm going to misguided and frustrated. Lol.

Thanks for the help 🙏

I'm a beginner using electric guitar.

# 3
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
11/06/2022 1:57 am
#3 Originally Posted by: gaanglatihan

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, after I read your reply I immediately went to the store with my electric guitar and my tuner, after the seller checked the strings, bridge and other things there are no problems, the problem he found was in my cheap tuner. The strings still good and nothing wrong with my guitar tones.

My cheap tuner (only $2,56) was not very accurate, sometimes it's showed G, and after a while it's changed to E. So I bought "again" a good enough tuner although the price is quite expensive.

The seller said if I'm still learning and without a private tutor he suggested that I should not buy cheap stuff or I'm going to misguided and frustrated. Lol.

Thanks for the help 🙏

All tuners can be wonky if you pluck the string too hard. Just hit the string nice and normal and give the tuner a second to settle down and register the note properly. If you doubt your tuner you can use relative tuning and and fret the string next to it to see if the two notes are close.

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/06/2022 3:31 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: gaanglatihan

Hi,

Thanks for the help 🙏

Glad you have it figured out!  

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.