Help with trills

u10ajf
u10ajf
02/27/2003 5:53 pm
Can anyone advise me how to do fast hammer on/pull off trills please. I dont' know why I'm so slow at them but a friend of mine does it so fast that I can't pretend it isn't a weakness in my playing. Is it best to pull off downward or upward or alternatively one then the other?
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
02/27/2003 6:58 pm
I know you don't want to hear it, but it just takes practice...

I find it easiest to pull downward at an angle for pull offs. It's kind of like opening a door almost. Grabbing the knob with my palm facing upward then turning it clockwise. My motions aren't really that exaggerated, but I get a "down and to the left" angle going when I perform pull offs.

My only advice for hammer ons is to make sure you keep your fingers near the fretboard while playing. You'll find that your pinky wants to fly away after it does its duty and it's going to the next string. Focus on economy of motion, then work on endurance and speed... practice practice practice practice practice.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
03/01/2003 8:15 pm
I pull-off downwards too , and try to make your fingers very free (relax the trilling finger from over stress).
# 3
u10ajf
u10ajf
03/02/2003 6:06 pm
Cheers guys! I'm keeping my finger tips closer to the fretboard and getting the volume from the pull off not the hammer on (where greater height creates greater force) and it's speeding things up. I'll keep practicing and let you know if I find the up down up down thing any hack.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.