drummers

NRLoser
NRLoser
02/24/2003 12:57 am
ok, im currently just startin my band up, and unfortunatelyn, the only amp i have is a 15 watt peavey (try not to laugh). Its loud enough actually for practiin when i crank it and use distortion, but is it just me, or do drummers just try to play louder than u?

is there anyway he can play quiter, while still gettin the good sound? i dunno, im hopeless until i raise some cash
Punk backwards is Knup...Somethings wrong...
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
02/24/2003 1:52 am
I am not sure what they are called, but there is something that a drummer can put inside the drums to muffel the sound. Ask a drum tech or something at a store, they will know.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/24/2003 3:54 am
Originally posted by Tele Master
I am not sure what they are called, but there is something that a drummer can put inside the drums to muffel the sound...
The non-medical term for it is "his F***kin HEAD"!

Seriously, a band is about making music, and that means working with each other. It ain't a competition to see who can make the most noise. If he can't play at a level that fits the rest of the band, he should give some thought to taking up a different line of work. [u]Everyone[/u] has to adjust their playing to fit in with the band as a whole, and that includes the drummer. The only place for massive egos is somewhere else!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
NRLoser
NRLoser
02/24/2003 3:30 pm
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tele Master
[B]I am not sure what they are called, but there is something that a drummer can put inside the drums to muffel the sound...
The non-medical term for it is "his
F***kin HEAD"!

haha very good. no, its not that hes an egomaniac, hes strong and everything, so i guess its just in his nature.

i did the thing where i put up on a table, sounds alot better.

thanks
Punk backwards is Knup...Somethings wrong...
# 4
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/06/2003 7:52 pm
My drummer plays extremely loud, and theres actually
no known way for him to turn it down.
We've tried everything, but nothing has worked.
If he tries to play a bit more soft, it sounds really bad.
Its not like he tries to show off, he just cant do it.
I use to have a marshall 15w, and the other guitarist
had a Godzilla 5w (really cool amp!), but after a while
we noticed that it did'nt work, so now I have a Starfield 100w,
and the other guitarist has a Hughes&Kettner 150w.
They have enough juice to blow windows out, so now
we are all at the same level.

# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/06/2003 10:07 pm
Originally posted by mc9mm
... They have enough juice to blow windows out, so now
Which may mean that all three of you are destroying your ears! :eek:

Just as guitars can be set up with light strings, drums can be set up with light heads, and played with light sticks. One of the best drummers the world has ever known (Buddy Rich), played with sticks that looked like pencils.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/06/2003 11:40 pm
I always found, especially when writing and rehearsing new tunes that it was often much more productive (though not so much fun) to play with the whole band at a really low volume. Drummers can do this if they try, it may just take a little practice on his part !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 7
kingdavid
kingdavid
03/07/2003 7:50 am
...If he can't play at a level that fits the rest of the band, he should give some thought to taking up a different line of work...

They could also try to have him playing from outside the room,may be a block or two down the street.:D
Sorry,I couldn't resist.
# 8
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/08/2003 12:59 pm
... They have enough juice to blow windows out, so now
Which may mean that all three of you are destroying your ears! :eek:

Just as guitars can be set up with light strings, drums can be set up with light heads, and played with light sticks. One of the best drummers the world has ever known (Buddy Rich), played with sticks that looked like pencils.

Well I use earplugs, but if I did'nt I would be deaf
a long time ago, and Im not kidding.

I can assure you that we've tried that, but it didnt work.
It doesnt matter how much he practise, he just cant do it.
But hey what do you expect, he's a drummer!
A damn good one though.
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/08/2003 3:18 pm
...But hey what do you expect, he's a drummer!
A damn good one though.
As a (sometimes) bass player, I'd like to share this with you:

"Did you hear about the bass player who locked his keys in his Civic?

It took him four hours to get the drummer out of the car!"

:D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
03/14/2003 10:40 pm
Is Tommy Lee (Motley Crue) any good (drummer) our is he just famous Ā“cause he nailed Pamela Anderson?
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 11
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/24/2003 10:14 am
We had a good solution for that problem - we built a room-in-room construction in our rehersalroom. Its basically a small box, where the drumset plus the drummer and a frew microphones are placed in. that box has to be isolated very good ,so that you hardly hear something on the outside. then you just put your drummer on the PA (via the microhones - just like in a studio). and viola - a drummer that can be turned off when necessary *LOL*

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 12
TheDirt
TheDirt
03/24/2003 8:47 pm
As a Christian guitarist, I've played at many churches, and I've seen many band setups. One guy I met had a similar problem; he hit the drums VERY hard, and just couldn't keep proper time playing softly. He was a regular at the church, so they made a special thing for him. On the right side of the stage where he sat they built a plexiglass structure that surrounded the drums and were about 10 feet high, with an open top. As a result, the volume of the drums were lowered and he could play as hard as he wanted. Of course, he had to start wearing earplugs due to how loud it was to him.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 13
nathaninflames
nathaninflames
04/03/2003 5:19 am
get practice pads for the drums just for when your band practices.... when your band plays a show borrow a stack from someome.... thats what my band did along time ago when we sucked.... check us out at... http://www.tomorrowsmoment.cjb.net
yeah ok.....
# 14
spanky10940
spanky10940
04/14/2003 3:01 pm

the dude that I play with actually has these plexiglass "half-bowls" on the bottom of his drums to direct the sound forward. We found that if we face the kit into the wall or put up a small enclosure around him that it makes a difference. Also, being on the 2nd drummer that I've played with who is LIGHTYEARS better than the first dude, he's able to play softly and sound good doing it. I'm using a 60w Fender Princeton Reverb and I NEVER have to crank it. I find when it's too loud I can't hear everyone well eoungh to be able to play.

yeah, it's fun wakin the neighbors but you have to deal with them the next day! =)
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.