View post (While the 'civilized world' looked elsewhere...)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/27/2003 12:55 am
Originally posted by kingdavid
Rask,you say that [u]Iraq is under some obligations from the UN,and that no other country is under such obligations.True.[/u]Now,how did Iraq get under those obligations in the first place?Was it coz Saddam gassed his own people?Was it coz he killed political dissidents?Was it coz he was stowing oil wealth away while his people were starving?Was it coz he was forcing children into his army?The answer to all these questions is no.Saddam got under those obligations when he invaded another Sovereign nation.So to me,grounds for war should similar to these.But don't tell me it's coz he's such a demon and he is causing so much suffering to his own people,blah blah.You(America)don't care about those.I don't know what you care about.But it definately isn't that(People suppresed and dying under a dictatorial regime).

Wait-wait-wait-wait--
You agree that Saddam is under certain obligations* from the UN, but you don't agree that he should be removed from power for not meeting those obligations... even though the consequences for not meeting the UN obligations have ALWAYS been invasion and regime change? What gives?

The best analogy for what's going on here is that of a criminal on parole for "Crime X." Saddam invaded Kuwait, the sentence for doing that was regime change, but he's been put on parole (given a second chance), and if he plays by the ALL the rules, he gets to stay in power of Iraq.

If a criminal is put on parole after serving a portion of their sentence, they don't have to commit Crime X or a worse one to go back to jail to serve the rest of the sentence, ANY violation of the conditions of parole means the criminal goes back to finish the sentence for Crime X and, depending on what they've done, they could end up serving a more severe sentence.

You're basicly saying "OK, we told him that if he didn't stop selling drugs we'd put him back in jail, and maybe he's still selling Crystal Meth to high schoolers, but he's not selling it to grade schoolers any more, so lets ask him one more time to please stop dealing and if he still doesn't listen we'll ask him again, but using different words." If the problem weren't really so serious, that could be a Monty Python skit.

Finally, I think I'm a better judge of what myself and America does and doesn't care about as I live here. Have you ever even visted? Not that it's directly related to Iraq, but if you're on AOL Instant Messenger and want to talk to somebody who can describe how it feels to see first hand the huge void in Manhatten where roughly 3,000 lives were suddenly snuffed out, IM me (Letch be Friends), I'll be happy to fill you in.

*The basic obligations in question being; disarm of ALL weapons of mass destruction, have NO missles with a range greater than 90 miles (150km, right?), put an end to ALL weapons development, and finally PROVE via UN inspections that all of the above have happened.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons