View post (While the 'civilized world' looked elsewhere...)

View thread

kingdavid
kingdavid
02/25/2003 1:17 pm
Originally posted by u10ajf
...re are tons of evil bastards all over the world and nobody cares what they do to their people unless they can make some financial gain by "liberating" them, look at all the wars in Africa, who cared?...

This is a major issue I have with this whole Iraqi war talk.In the other thread(and Rask,do you see how quickly cynism kills a thread?),I mentioned our(Kenya) own former president.If you ask me,this guy should join Milosevic in the Hague(and I'm not the only Kenyan who feels this way).President Moi had torture chambers in the basement of the govt. building holding the headquarters of the provincial adminstration.Quite some nerve there.He's massacred people.Is nerve gassing a whole village(Saddam)any different from bludgeoning some 300(official figures,who knows what the real figure was)people to death on an airstrip(Moi)?.Or killing several thousand people,and displacing tens of thousands more,under the guise of "tribal clashes"?(The Kenyan situation is such that we're so spread out and intermarried and dependent on each other and stuff,it's impossible to hurt another tribe without hurting your own,hence it's next to impossible to have a real tribal war).
The man behind these things is the man Bush described as "a good and strong leader."(He was right about strong)And when did Bush say this?October 2002.Not 16 million years ago.Not during the cold war.Not during his election campaigns.LAST YEAR,OCTOBER.Condemning Saddam(and no,I do not support Saddam),while at the same time praising a presidednt with similar traits to saddam.
Now,I never was good in math.But it doesn't add up.Not to me.Iknow,Iknow,saddam is an arse hole that needs to be removed from power.YES.But why is it that people who are the same are not the same to Bush?A bastard is a bastard.
I'll use an analogy to how I see this.You take the bus to work.A robber takes the same bus,but for different reasons(he might also,in his own sick sense,say he's going to work).You're in the same bus,but for very different reasons.Same thing here.I may want to see saddam ousted.So does Bush.But I can't help feel,for the reasons I've said,that he's doing it for other reasons.
About India and Pakistan:
This is a very different situation,Lord.For the following reasons.
India isn't trying to remove Perves Musharaff from power.Neither is Pakistan trying to displace Vajpayee.They are squabbling over borders.
These two countrties are about the same size,in terms of military might.Compare Iraq with USA.India knows Pakistan can **** her up.So does Pakistan.Which is why all they're doing is sabre rattling(If you're fighting,then ****,fight!!)
Rask,you say that Iraq is under some obligations from the UN,and that no other country is under such obligations.True.Now,how did Iraq get under those obligations in the first place?Was it coz Saddam gassed his own people?Was it coz he killed political dissidents?Was it coz he was stowing oil wealth away while his people were starving?Was it coz he was forcing children into his army?The answer to all these questions is no.Saddam got under those obligations when he invaded another Sovereign nation.So to me,grounds for war should similar to these.But don't tell me it's coz he's such a demon and he is causing so much suffering to his own people,blah blah.You(America)don't care about those.I don't know what you care about.But it definately isn't that(People suppresed and dying under a dictatorial regime).
In that other thread,someone talked about Saddam obliterating Israel from the map.Please.Even he knows that would be the end of him.Or is he suicidal as well(now I'm being cynical,but nicely).