More Songs

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/20/2003 12:20 am
More opinions please !

These are whey different from the other two and Id love to hear any constructive criticism.

http://www.trinkit.net/HandsOff.mp3
http://www.trinkit.net/EscapeV.mp3

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
02/20/2003 1:02 am
Weel i don't know much about the actual recording stuff. Like settings and that. However I can do constructive critisiscm. I really liked the overall sound to "Escape Velocity". I liked the acoustic guitar start, then that little riff with the electric. Once again I liked the voice.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/21/2003 12:57 pm
Cool, they are different from the last two songs I posted however I was a bit worried about posting a song with a lot of guitar solo (Hands Off) on this site as I know there are many people here who can play circles round me !
# 3
flash2ace
flash2ace
03/12/2003 1:30 am
wow i like it, as far as your guitar playing if i were you i would not be in the least bit scared to post this it is awesome. your playing is fine and your mixing is great, what do you use for equipment to track with? just curious. ive been tracking for quite a while with cakewalk products but im just a slow learner lol. i realy enjoy your stuff doc and thanks for sharing. god bless p.s. its hard for me to comment on your mix much because i cant find anything wrong with it, sounds to pro for me to comment. tim pate
play music unto the lord in a manner of praise.
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/12/2003 3:25 am
Thanks for the kind words Flash !

First thing I do is record a click track and then a rhythm guitar piece as a place marker. Then everything else as I think of it ! Usually the vocals are last however I will usually only have the click track and the rhythm place marker guitar in the headphones mix along with any other vocal tracks. The only real trick, I use is lots of layers of guitar stuff and double tracked main vocals (Newmoon and Dreaming). Beyond that it is all just live over-dubs done until I get a take Im happy with. I monitor through a pair of Alesis bi-amplified reference speakers. This is better than even the best set of headphones. As far as mixing and mastering is concerned, well Im a bit in the dark here, I set the rhythm guitar first and bring everything else up around it. I have been told that this makes the mix very guitar-ish and my unseal response to this is....good !!

As far as kit goes I used either a USA made Jap import Strat or a PRS CE24 into either a Pod Pro or a GNX2 Which go direct into a Korg D1600 DAW.

The vocals were done through either a Shure SM57 or a KSM32 going into a Behringer Ultra voice Pro into the Korg. We used a Midiverb 4 for reverse reverb for Catherine's backing on Dreaming however mine are done more or less dry (bit of compression from the Ultravoice pro and the Korg).

The drums were also done direct and I used either a Yamaha DTEXPRESS II kit (Dreaming and Newmoon) direct into the Korg ( I think that next time Im going to use an out board ART TPS as a pre amp for the drums just to thicken the sound a bit) or a Boss Dr770 (Escape velocity and Hands Off).

The bass was a Peavey Cirrus 4 string into a Tech 21 active Bass DI or a Bass Pod (I actually prefer the Tech 21 gizmo to the bass pod however this is probably because I have not spent enough time fiddling with the Bas Pod).

The acoustic guitar (Newmoon) is an Alvarez DI'ed into the Korg and miked (SM57) off axis at about 7'O clock relative to the sound hole.

Hope this helps
S

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.