Red Box MKIII

02/16/2003 3:59 pm
Well I took Schmange advice and bought a Red Box MK cabinetulator.

This thing is awesome, it's really making a difference when recording. A BIG difference.

Got this thing used on ebay for 35$.

You won't see a difference when playing but the recording is much more soft and works magic on the distortion.

Got some help to rig it up (cause I really suck with equipment) but now I can get a decent distortion.

I realise that I must change my zoom pad tho. This thing generates too much noise. Have to run each track trought a lot of plug-ins in cubase and cool edit pro just to get rid of the background sound thus screwing up my sound.

If you can't afford (like me) a line6 pod and other modules, try to look in the pawn shops for a Red Box. For the price it's amazing. But read the technicals on their site before buying.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/16/2003 4:42 pm
Have you thought about a noise gate between the red box and the computer ? It is an extra non-essential gizmo but, if it makes the recording process more fun and removes painful subsequent steps, well cool !
I got a new Behringer gate for well under 100 bucks. It works really well and I bet you could find one on ebay for like 30-50 bucks.
Just a thought !

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2003 11:44 pm
kewl :)
I've been telling people about that thing for years and nobody ever believes me.

# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2003 11:51 pm
He'd need a noise gate that works really gradually instead of just cutting off at a certain point.
I think it was his recording that I put through my own De-Noiser and it pretty much eliminated the hissing sound he's got, but this one works really gradually and starts to turn certain highs down as the volume drops & it works more like Dolby noise reduction than a noise gate.
I've got a noise gate on my multipedal and even though it works gradually, it doesn't do a whole lot if you're just playing soft chords cause you lose all your sustain.
He's better off getting a used pedal off ebay or something.
# 4

02/19/2003 1:05 am

You got a suggestion for the dolby noise reduction thing?

What do you use as a de-noiser?

And yes it was my recording you've worked on :) and made me realise I needed some gear lol
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/19/2003 1:39 am
It's a software based VST plug-in made by Steinberg, the same guys that do Cubase.
...kinda pricey tho... about $400 CND. That's why I'm saying you're probably better off just trading in your Zoom for a better stomp box. It's better to have no noise to begin with than having to always worry about trying to get rid of it.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.