View post (Simons first GT song)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/17/2003 10:26 pm
Awesome! Let me know if you run into any problems, I'll do what I can to help.

Here's some very good tips:

1. Always keep a log of every project you do. Write down everything you do from start to finish. Like what settings and EQ you used on the guitar, to the EQ you applied to the final mix. Write everything down step by step as you work though the project. Now when I mean everything I don't mean, "ahh. I picked up a chord and plugged it in." lol. :D You know what I mean. This will drastically increase your engineering skills cause once you finish the project. You can look back at it and say, "well I really like what I did here." Now, you can easily read your log and see exactly how you did it. Same thing if you don't like how something turned out. You can go back see what you did and most of the time figure out how to fix it before the next project. Once you've done a couple of projects you should be figuring out exactly how to get the sound you want. You will learn a lot faster and be more consistant by doing this, cause learning how to engineer has to be done on your own. It is a trial and error process, so keep a log.

2. Also another good tip for learning quickly is to listen to some songs that have an awesome production and learn from them. When your doing a final mix, contrast and compare your recording to that recording. Your probably saying, “yeah right“, but here’s what I mean. First, run your monitor out's into your Aux in's on your stereo. Make sure your CD player is connected to your stereo. Put the Cd in and push play. Listen to the cd then go back and listen to the monitor mix on your recording. Try to get it as close to sounding like the cd as you can by switching back and forth. Once you think you have gotten as close as you can; your sure to have a great final product. Now you can't get it exactly like the cd, because the cd was mastered which is a completely different ball game. You can get rather close and what your looking for in how each instrument sounds, volume and EQ levels, and how everything is laid out in the song. Have fun!

P.S. Always do the mix through speakers (monitors), NOT headphones(not even the kick-arse ones). They do not produce the spectrum of sound accurately enough and most listen to music through speakers anyways. You will get a better mix.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.