View post (Simons first GT song)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/17/2003 2:09 am
Originally posted by Dr_simon
3-5 KHz was a problem in the mix and boosting it brought out much sibilance, even using a de-esser ! You can hear what I mean when listening to the double tracking on the main vocal, the esses at the end of sibilant phrases are at slightly different times (Dooooh !).

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It's a tough range to work with, but if it is balanced correctly this range will give the music a sense of excitement. Too much and well you getting that horrible lispy sound as you said. You definitely want to boost this range for vocals, but slightly. I wouldn't boost it to max cause a lot of instruments need a treatment in this range. A good EQ mix is a good balance between the frequencies of all the instruments. You don’t want to neglect a frequency anymore than you want to boost it too much. Definitely this frequency.

In the future I’m going to have a go at recording the vocals onto analogue tape rather than going straight to digital via a Tascam 424 Mk III which I can sync to the Korg.

I don't know your situation all that well, but your vocal production is amazing. I actually meant to ask in my previous post some tips on how you got it sounding that good. But anyways, I'd check the quality your going to get from the analogue tape before switching. If too much quality is lost, I wouldn't do it; instead use it for less dominant instruments, like bass and maybe backing vocals.

I believe and I've read a lot that the vocals make the mix. If you get the vocals to sound great, everything else should just slide into place. My experience has showed me this is true. Actually when I do my final mix, the vocals are the first thing I do. Everything backs up the vocals anyways, so it sounds logical. Make vocals sound great, then make everything fit in with the vocals. A very good approach to mixing and most of the time it’s produces a great over-all mix.

I will still check out your suggestions as Im still a little fuzzy on what sound maps to which frequency range and as ever all constructive advice is welcome !

This primarily depends on the instruments. There is not a perfect spot for a certain sound, what there are is target frequencies. Which is a rough idea of what range to start with to bring out a certain quality in the instrument. Most of the time you will have to search around these frequencies to find the exact sound you are looking for.

30 - 100hz : these are the sub bass frequencies. The extreme low-end, around 60hz is the "woof" sound. I usually shelf the low end of the bass guitar here, and probably all the way up to around 150hz. All the low bass notes are in this range.

100hz - Very important frequency especially for the bass drum. This is where the pounding and the sense of pushing air is located. Boost the bass drum here to get the sense of the kick drum punching you in the chest. Also give a little boost (+2 or +4, usually never more than that)to the guitar here for added warmth if needed.

200hz - This is where the “proximity effect” range is located, too much here and it will sound muddy and dull. For more transparency cut here.

250-500hz - Great vocal range, adds low-end or warmth to the vocals. Don’t boost here too much though cause it‘s very close to the 200hz, you don‘t want muddiness when looking for warmth. You will also find the resonance of the drum heads and the body of an acoustic guitar around this area.

500-600hz - The body of the electric guitar, the clank of the hi-hat, and also great for toms if you don’t use a lot of echo (reverb).

700-900hz - Great bass guitar frequency for it brings out the octave harmonics of the low notes. Making the bass line more distinguishable in pitch.

1-2khz - The BANG!! Awesome frequency for the snare. Boost here a bit but not too much for it can make the snare sound like hitting a cardboard tube. hehe

3khz - The excitement. Watch boosting here also as I said before. Gives the bass drum smack (mix well with 100hz to get an awesome bass drum sound.), Give boost to bass for more rhythm quality, give boost to guitar for more edge (be very careful with guitar in this range), adds excitement to vocals, adds power to toms, and bang of the crash cymbals.

5khz - Adds presence or brightness. Brings clarity to snare drum (boost for adding rhythm quality of the snare) another place to bring out the basses rhythmic qualities (great alternative for 3khz), sometimes vocals may need treatment here also.

7khz - Sibilants range. Stick hitting the toms, sibilants of the hi-hat, sometimes cut here a little on vocals to get rid of slushy vocals. Adds sparkle to the acoustic guitar.

10khz - Texture of the snare drum, splash or highs of the guitar, great for adding the sense of an acoustic environment to an acoustic guitar track.

10khz and above - predominantly the cymbals. Also to boost reverberation of a room and the sense of being surrounded by air.

Hope this helps.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.