View post (Simons first GT song)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/16/2003 6:48 pm
I think it was a very good production and song. I listened to dreaming and I thought it was really cool. :)

Trendkilla does have a good point though, the drums and bass may be pushed alittle too far back. I can see that's the effect you were going for. The bass and the main vocals are all centered in the mix. Which is almost necassary for a good mix, except maybe the Beatles. You also got the main guitar there too. Which is all kool too cause that's the mix you were going for, but the one big thing I think it was missing is. Everything else was either Far-left or Far-right. It was missing the mid points, which to me makes the over-all or full body spectrum of sound not fully used.

If I may make a suggestion. I would bring the snare and bass drum alittle closer to center. Id center the bass drum because it works better in the center. Since you got the guitar in the center, I wouldn't change that cause that's kool. I would move the snare alittle closer to center so it's in between the bass drum and hi-hat. This will dramatically improve the sense of the snare drum in the mix. Also, I would move the bass guitar alittle to the left so it's sort of mid left, this will give you more freedom of EQ between the bass drum, bass guitar, and guitar (sometimes a problem cause they have the same good frequency points). Since your going for sort of a left to right music (mix) flow, this will help that sense alittle more. Plus give each individual instrument alittle more room in the spectrum and close those mid gaps that are there now.

Also a second option, switching the bass guitar and bass drum would be kool too I think. Have the bass guitar in the center, and the bass drum mid left. This will produce an even more left to right mix impression. For the drum beat will move left to right, because the beat is bass then snare. So it would be mid-left to mid-right for the beat. I think that would be awesome.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.