Pinky Control

celmore10
Full Access
celmore10
Full Access
10/01/2022 10:33 pm

I realized I have a bad habit of having my fingers too far from the fret board during my dexterity exercises. My pinky will retract to my palm as I'm going down the fret board and my middle finger isn't where I'd like it to be (it sometimes hovers a little high when I try to control my fingers to stay closer to the frets). Does anyone have this problem and ideas they used to try and solve it? Currently I've been forcing my fingers to stretch out across the frets, but I can feel my hand naturally try to go back to the old habits.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
10/01/2022 11:14 pm

Unfortunatly, it all comes down to "Rinse and Repeat".  So you are on the right track....  Keep at it and you will eventually get those fingers under control.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2022 2:50 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: celmore10

I realized I have a bad habit of having my fingers too far from the fret board during my dexterity exercises. My pinky will retract to my palm as I'm going down the fret board and my middle finger isn't where I'd like it to be (it sometimes hovers a little high when I try to control my fingers to stay closer to the frets). Does anyone have this problem and ideas they used to try and solve it? Currently I've been forcing my fingers to stretch out across the frets, but I can feel my hand naturally try to go back to the old habits.

It's hard at first but you have to make a conscious effort to keep your fingers close to the fretboard.  Like any repetitious manual dexterity task, the more more you do it, gradually the more it becomes automated & you don't have to keep reminding yourself & forcing your fingers to get in line!

I developed this tutorial to specifically to work on that issue.  It can applied in many ways & of course to all fingers.

Building Pinky Strength & Dexterity

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1292

This tutorial is aimed at overall finger strength & dexterity.

Trill Drills

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/22705

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
celmore10
Full Access
celmore10
Full Access
10/03/2022 12:40 am

Thanks for the tips and the links. I'll keep working at it over time.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.