EQ

Slow Diver
Slow Diver
02/10/2003 10:15 am
What EQ you would typically put on your quitar tracks. I have heard some rules for clean and distorted, but when I applied it my tracks sounded crappy.
What are the settings that you use most frequently?
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/10/2003 11:44 am
the rule is your ear - if there was a strict rule for all recurdong stuff, then everything would sound the same - never forget that even the best program cannot turn sh*t into gold. the better the quality of you input signal, the better the results and the less equilisation required. and a very important thing for a good and transparent sound is a good arrangement with enough space for the instrument to unfold its sound. that is a question of trial and error.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/10/2003 7:17 pm
yeah ... I'll go along with that too.
I don't think I've ever used the same settings twice. It all depends on what other instruments are playing, what type of song it is, whether it's rhythm or lead, direct or mic'd etc...
Even after months of trying I still can't find the right sound for my leads on multitrack stuff.
Sometimes, especially on rock guitar instrumental stuff, you're changing it all the time. One part of the song will be double tracked, panned left and right and have both eq's and echoes set differently, then the next part is centred and totally dry. Then another instrument kicks in and you have to yank out a whole spectrum so they don't muddy each other up.
Then when you master it, you have to EQ it all over again to boost the bass & highs and remove some of the mids after you've compressed and limited the entire thing.
# 3
Seiko_Hejiro
Seiko_Hejiro
02/11/2003 8:55 am
I record and mix random stuff using my gutiar and sound blaster live card. I say if you can EQ the sound coming out of your amp and into the reorder so you're not tweaking afterwards. For a solid metal sound boost the low end an the high end as most pickups as far as i can remember, i may be wrong, focus around the lower mid range. Just record some gutiar tracks and if you can encode to mp3 foramt and watch the EQ bands fly where the signal is at. I've sure there are other programs i never use that can show you this stuff real time in the program without having to go through encoding, however, moving on...yea for heavy gutiar I mess around with fading off the high frequencies and boosting the lower mid range and extreme low end frequencies at the same time sucking out the mid a bit and bosting the upper mid range to about 1 to 2 kHz. after that it's mostly harmonic overtones far as i know that are good for overall sound and filling the dead air. Also if you want you can try finding the frequency that you [pick attack sound is at and suck out that specific frequency in the mix down EQing process and get more of the actual tone to stay.

In general i say Low + Mid - High + simple as that, for clean i just record whatever, add some chorus don't worry about Eqing. Most of the sound coming out of your instrument is going to be determined by how well you can play it anyhow.

Hope that helps dude.
# 4
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/13/2003 10:22 pm
I really have to go with what everybody else has said, but I think I can add some here. Like what Azreal said, it is definitely a trial and error process and every recording is different. If you want a good signal, you definitely need a parametric EQ, or at least a sweepable Mid range. You guitar should sound good just coming out of the amp first before you start EQ. The last thing you want to do fustrate yourself trying to fix something that you can fix with your effect's processor or amp. When EQ'in with a effect processor or amp, just get the sound you like best, don't worry about the EQ specs yet. For they will be meaningless if the guitar tone itself is crap.

Now once you have a nice tone from the guitar. If your miking the amp, set the EQ to a flatline and then move the mic around until you find a sound you like. Then start with the EQ process. There is no perfect recipe for getting a great sound on EQ, this is above all based on personally taste. But what you want, like Azreal said is a nice pure and full transparent sound when you record. First thing you should probably look at is the frequency of roughly 200 HZ, this is where all the cloudy signal is found. Use your sweepable mid range here. Your going to want to decrease the gain here, but not too much cause you don't want to effect the nearby FREQ. of 100 hz and 500hz. I think -2 or -4 is good enough. If you have EQ width control (Q), you can probably decrease the gain moreusing a narrower bandwidth. Actaully it's encouraged. Where to go next is your call, but I would start working on the freq.'s around 125-150hz, 500hz, 3-4khz, and 10khz. Each targets a specific quality to the guitar sound.

100hz - the warmth of the guitar
500hz - the body of the guitar
3-4k - is the edge of the guitar, careful here cause too much will cause it sound "very bad". +2 or +4 is usually enough.

If you need more of the pick hitting the strings go for 5-7khz(careful), and clarity is about 10khz.

When doing the recording EQ, you basically want to boost all the frequecies as needed to about -4 dec. before clipping occurs. This will give you a more powerful signal. If you use compressor, I say added compressor then mess with the EQ.

When doing the mix, here's a rough EQ arrangement for traditional instruments:

60 - 100hz - bass guitar
100hz - bass drum and maybe low-end of snare
200hz - over-all cut
250-500hz - low-end vocals (esp. males)
500hz - balance guitar and the resonance of the drums
800hz - bass guitar
900hz - cut for vocals
1khz - snare drum
2khz - bass guitar with alittle snare
3khz - guitar edge (not too much) along with stick on hi-hat
4-5khz - snare, vocals, little guitar by it should be rolling off by this point.
7khz - cut vocals
8 - 10khz - cymbals, little snare and guitar for clarity
10 and above - cymbals

Also, try boosting slightly between 12-15khz on vocals. It will give the vocals a better sense on the mix.

Again, this is only a point in the right direction. Using these exclusively isn't going to make your mix great. But I use this as a starting point for the over-all mix. Cause a good mix is from making all the instruments balanced and since some have the same freguencies. Some parts you have to use for one more than another. But you want a good over-all picture of everything. But this should help greatly.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 02-13-2003 at 04:24 PM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.