Xindzidzi

xindzidzi
xindzidzi
09/15/2022 9:36 pm

Hi, I can't play (yet) I Just started the first lesson now. I got my guitar on my thigh etc.  I"m left, do I just change the strings around so it's the opposite, Right?   Thanks.

# 1
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
09/15/2022 10:40 pm

Hendrix turned an entire guitar upside down just so his fretting and picking hands changed roles. If you try reversing the strings, you risk damaging the fret slots on the higher pitches. Are you playing an Acoustic or Electric?

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 2
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
09/15/2022 10:44 pm

*String nut slots

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 3
xindzidzi
xindzidzi
09/16/2022 1:32 pm

I've got a acoustic. Thanks for reply

# 4
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
09/16/2022 5:54 pm

No problem. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

# 5
xindzidzi
xindzidzi
09/17/2022 7:17 am

I'm sorry, but I still dont fully understand what I need to do, you say "string nut slots"? Im following your classes trying to play and do the opposite of what you doing, it's not that simple. Hahaha. Makes me wonder how Hendrix and other well known lefties got to learn how to play that well. 

# 6
mjgodin
mjgodin
09/17/2022 11:47 am

If you are just starting out and  haven't changed the strings yet my best advice Is to learn it righty. I'm a lefty and my old instructors gave me that advice and I'm glad he did. 

The availability of left handed guitars is better today then back then but still not as much as right handed ones and like you discovered learning is more difficult when you have to reverse everything the instructor is doing on screen. Plus you'll find it's not that big of an adjustment once you get going. Having your dominant hand doing the fretting might even be a plus for us so give it a try and see how it goes. At this stage your free to experiment. . 

# 7
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
09/17/2022 3:17 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: xindzidzi

I'm sorry, but I still dont fully understand what I need to do, you say "string nut slots"? Im following your classes trying to play and do the opposite of what you doing, it's not that simple. Hahaha. Makes me wonder how Hendrix and other well known lefties got to learn how to play that well. 

No worries, man. You'll see the nut where the headstock meets the guitar neck, a very thick strip of bone or other synthetic material. There's very precise slots cut into the nut, which supports string tension and tuning. The low E has the thickest or heaviest string gauge, the strings and nut slots get thinner the closer you get to the High E.

If you were to place the heaviest string gauges in the thinner slots without adjusting their width, you could damage the nut indefinitely. That's usually a job for professional guitar techs or experienced guitarists. I recommend you read books by Dan Erlewine at this stage and spend some time online researching left-hand guitarists.

You're not so alone in this; there's plenty of left-hand guitarists out there with incredible skill  and passion 👍🎸

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.