Gretsch RatRod maintenance

mcharb72
mcharb72
09/04/2022 3:22 am

I have a question about my newly acquired Gretsch RatRod G5410T (the black one). I'm a bit concerned about the matte finish, and using cleaning products.

I usually treat my other guitar with Dunlop Formula 65 guitar Polish and Cleaner, and use the Dunlop Fretboard 65 Lemon Oil. I really like the results.

I was wondering if those products are appropriate for the G5410T, since the finish is a deep black matte texture. If I ever drop a bit of lemon oil on the finish while doing the rosewood fretboard, will it be stained? How will it react to the finish if I try cleaning it with the Polish & Cleaner?

Anyone has experience on doing maintenance on this guitar? Any hot tips? My local guitar shop didn’t have a clue.

Thanks,

Martin

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
09/04/2022 6:05 am

Pop the enquiry off to Gretsch in an email or contact form on their website for a definitive answer.

Not first hand famil with that particular instrument's finish. Does the body paintwork have a topcoat of Matt or Satin Polyurethane Clear? Or is it open pore?

If the former, the surface is sealed (colour coat is protected) and Lemon Oil won't penetrate the paint work or affect the hard poly coat. Same could reasonably be assumed with Dunlop's Polish. For point of reference, I have and use the full range of Dunlop maintenance products. If in any doubt about the body being clear polyurethane topcoated, don't, or test on a small obscure area first.

Alternatively, you'd be safe with Ernie Ball liquid instrument polish (spray). Non-abrasive with no cutting constituent, it does a great job cleaning grime. I use it on open pore stained instruments as well with no ill effect.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.