Stuck in a rut

sboult
sboult
08/28/2022 12:29 am

I have subscribed to GT for two years. I have been feeling really stuck as of late. I have done the guitar tree 1 & 2, and acoustic 1. I feel confident knowing my chords but am having difficulty playing songs and keeping rhythm.I really want to incorporate fingerpicking into songs, I have watched the lessons but don't know how to incorporate it into songs?

I have been playing for almost 10 years and feel like I am at such a plateau and am loosing interest in playing. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Take care,

Scott

# 1
phbulfin
phbulfin
08/28/2022 1:48 am

Hi,

I have been in a similar situation so one thing I did to get myself out was find people to jam with. A good way to do this is go to open mic nights in your area or start one. I have managed to get a gig so this has forced me to go over my techniques and learn songs.

Cheers

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/28/2022 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by: sboultI feel confident knowing my chords but am having difficulty playing songs and keeping rhythm.[/quote]

What songs are you trying to play? It sounds like you need to focus on being able to change chords in time with music. Knowing chord shapes & being able to play through a series of chord changes in time with music are definitely 2 different things.

If you are working on a specific song & having trouble with it, then break the task into managable chunks focusing on the separate skills required.

Just focus on the chord changes. Practice the motions required to change from one chord to the next. Don't strum in time, just repeat the chord changes until they become more automated. So they are second nature.  Next focus on the strumming rhythm required for the song. Just try it with one chord at a time. Make sure you have the rhythm correct. You can slow it down with a metronome, or the speed option if it's a song on GT. Gradually add more chords from the progression into the process.

Finally after you have the chord changes & strumming patterns automated, you can count on your muscle memory to take care of the physical motions while you are focusing on the song structure & navigating through the form.

Originally Posted by: sboultI really want to incorporate fingerpicking into songs, I have watched the lessons but don't know how to incorporate it into songs?

Start by learning songs that already have fingerpicking so you get a sense of how it provides the rhythm for the song. That way it's already incorporated into the song & you don't have to reinvent the wheel or try to fit a technique into a space it might not really work or be effective.

Lisa has a whole series of tutorials on fingerpicking.

https://www.guitartricks.com/search.php?search=%22Acoustic+Fingerpicking+Step-by-Step%22

You can also find more at different skill levels on her instructor directory.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=311296

[p]If you are new to fingerpicking it can take quite a while to get automated. That's lots of hours of repeitious practicing just to get the skill ready to actually use in time.

[quote=sboult]I have been playing for almost 10 years and feel like I am at such a plateau and am loosing interest in playing. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Learn more skills, learn songs! Hope that helps!

edited
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.