View post (Guitar for newbies?)

View thread

Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
08/20/2022 2:08 pm

Hey Steve-

I've bought guitars from big stores, little shops, individuals and even one time from a guy just finishing his gig-right on the spot. I've yet to buy one online though.

Ok. My thoughts-

1. Little shops are great because of the relationship you can develop not just with the person selling but the shop itself. They can help match you up with what they have in stock, help ensure it's properly setup, and have a serious interest in what you plan to buy next. If they hook you here, you'll be back to buy your next guitar. Drawback? Limited stock may mean limited choices and price may be a bit higher.

2. Guitar Center and other big box. Usually a large selection and slightly lower prices. Customer service is hit and miss (I've had excellent and crappy) depending on the location. [br]Drawback? You're one of about a zillion people walking through their doors. Sales staff tends to turnover pretty often so it's tough to develop a relationship with someone interested in helping you grow. Sometimes the staff at these places are genuinely interested in helping and other times they take obvious pleasure in snubbing you or talking down to you. Really depends on the location.

3. Individuals? Most risky. Either you know the person or trust your "horse sense" with someone you've never met. Best way to find a treasure but no support.

Personally I'm a big fan of a small shop. If that's not an option, try talking to the staff at a big box and finding someone who'll talk a bit. If the big boxes give you the brush off, I'd look to a reputable online source.

Miami? I'll ask around.

RW