View post (Internet Generation)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
02/11/2003 12:08 am
Good: (1) Playing has never been easier to learn. There's hundreds of sites devoted to teaching guitar. (2) Books can't answer questions like knowledgable people can. I mean, look at this forum!! If you have a guitar related question, you're not limited to the people around you. You can throw out the question and have people from all over the world put in their opinions. (3) I would have never even heard of half the musicians whose cds I now own if not for the internet. I rarely buy cds unless I know they'll be good (used to be by word of mouth), but now I can listen to clips of songs, and I have bought many albums from what I've heard on the net even though no one around owned the album. (4) The internet offers a way for people to get together who may have never even met otherwise. I'm now friends with many guitarists in neighboring towns that I met through the net. I could go on, but for demonstrative purposes, I'll move on to the negatives.

Bad: (1) New musicians now lack the ear training that comes from sitting down and learning a song by ear. They can read tab decently, but it's harder for them to improvise or catch on to a song that's not tabbed out (such as in a live situation).

Conclusion: The internet is a GREAT advancement for disciplined musicians. The pros totally outweigh the cons.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster