View post (I don't know how to keep time?)

View thread

edithb
Full Access
edithb
Full Access
10/27/2022 7:05 pm
#0 Originally Posted by: guitarplayer98899

I've been on a forum before, I ended up making about 20 people mad at me last night on reddit and had to delete the thread/post because I was getting so many thumbs down and people were getting very mad because I was not able to understand what they were saying.

I'm an old man [43 yrs old]. Some of the people were saying go find the song AC/DC Back In Black and count 1,2,3,4 outloud to it, and I was confused and I tried and didn't get what I was counting 1,2,3,4 to. I tried again earlier and I think they were meaning the drum beat. I thought 1,2,3,4 was you count that everytime you hear the guitar play [a guitar chord struck].

So 1,2,3,4 is nothing to do with the guitar playing chords but is referring to the drummer hitting the drum with his drum stick? I don't understand

I thought 1,2,3,4 was to do with the guitar playing and not drum beats?

I'm going to include a clip of me playing to a song [I don't know if GT Tricks will allow me to post a link or not], it's the chorus and it's an easy song, but I am racing trying to get the guitar in racing way too fast, this is my problem that happens over and over again, whereas others that play this song barely move there hands, that is my issue that I simply cannot fix because I'm too ignorant I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6wrCRgPeo

Another song I was trying to do was Twisted Sister - Street Justice [it's an easy song] but I was having to play so fast my hand was on fire and cramping, when other people play this song again they barely move there hand, when I try to play it it's like I feel like I'm trying to immitate the flash from DC comics, I'm playing way too fast, when I play I'm just trying to hit the guitar at the same time, and that is not working because I'm playing too fast. And no I'm not in a band [people always ask that for reason].

I did see a video last night on youtube called "How to Count Music Exercise to help you find the beat in a song" and some lady plays Michael Jackson Billie Jean and has ,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 wrote on a sheet of paper and taps the magic marker to each number, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my problem or not?

I am just so confused at this point.

I've read your post and the many answers to it.  I can feel your frustration from your comments, and maybe people get frustrated when they try to explain this to you and you don't seem to "get it."

You might be making it too complicated, over thinking it.  Try singing (or just thinking in your head) a very simple melody such as Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.  Try tapping your feet just once as you sing/think each word.  Your feet will tap four times.  Those are four beats.

Now, improvising in a guitar solo on this song (Yeah, I know, it sounds unlikely), you might be playing MANY more than 4 notes, but there are still just 4 BEATS (1,2,3,4) during the duration of "Twinkle,Twinkle,Little,Star" - one beat at the beginning of each word).

If this doesn't help, you might just be one of those rare and unfortunate people who don't FEEL the beat of a song.  I've watched my husband try to tap his toes, or tap his hand on his thigh in time to a song on the radio, and it's usually just random, not at all connected to the rhythm/beat of the song.  He had an experience early in his life with a nasty music teacher who discouraged him from ever participating in music.  That might have caused his inability to connect with rhythm.

I sincerely hope you can find a solution because I can tell you are motivated.  Please let me know how this works out for you.  By the way, I'm 75 so you don't have to think of yourself as old for at least another 30 years!šŸ„°