View post (Learning the fretboard)

View thread

ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
07/05/2022 9:40 pm

Here is my current project for learning the fretboard.

Memorize the Circle of Fifths as a means to learn the fretboard. I love these light bulb ? moments. In addition to the scale and chord construction that I’ve known since my long ago piano lesson days … I just found an extremely practical use for the Circle of Fifths to learn the guitar fretboard. Grab your guitar. Use your index finger to barre the last four strings at any fret, put your middle finger on the next fret on the B string (things always change when you hit the B string, right) and ring finger on that same fret on the high E. Now name the note where you are on low E (we all have the E string memorized for doing barre chords) find that note on the circle of 5ths, and start going one note at a time counter clockwise, and that’s the name of the note you are holding on each subsequent string. Easy example: Do the barre pattern stated above starting at G on the low E string. Now look at the Circle and find G. Going backwards you have G,C,F,Bb,Eb,Ab. Now look at your fingers. You are fretting those notes!

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]