Picking on Tom Sawyer Interlude

Bill M2
Full Access
Bill M2
Full Access
06/14/2022 4:46 pm

The second part of the interlude plays along with the keyboard. You note in your lesson that you highly recommend down up picking to play this part. I am wondering why. The down up picking always has the pick moving away from the next string to be played. Picking up down seems to be much easier, but I would like your view since you highly recommeded the other way.

# 1
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/15/2022 3:00 pm

Great question and point William! I like to pick this part 'down-up' because that puts the down strokes on the beat (an accented note). If one picks this part 'up-down', then the accented notes are on an 'up' stroke, which isn't as common but still viable. Either way is efficient, but the important thing to do is alternate pick, which both ways do.

I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by: william.marino

The second part of the interlude plays along with the keyboard. You note in your lesson that you highly recommend down up picking to play this part. I am wondering why. The down up picking always has the pick moving away from the next string to be played. Picking up down seems to be much easier, but I would like your view since you highly recommeded the other way.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.