Thumb Placement

jeff896
jeff896
06/13/2022 6:54 pm

Every video I watched, here and YouTube, states the end of the thumb is supposed to be used as additional support on the back of the fret board. However, this is too painful for me and my chords sound aweful. The only way, so far, I can play is using the mid-section of my thumb.

I'm using a Fender Squire Stratocaster. My hands measure as the following:

Hand (from palm to tip of middle finger: 6"

Thumb: 2 1/2"

Index Finger: 3"

Middle Finger: 3 1/4"

Ring Finger: 3"

Pinky Finger: 2 1/4"

I've been curious if my hands, part or in full, are too small or if improvising like I'm doing is acceptable. I know everyone has their own playing style but I don't want to learn bad habits or injure my wrist.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for reading!

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/14/2022 6:39 pm
Originally Posted by: jeff896

Every video I watched, here and YouTube, states the end of the thumb is supposed to be used as additional support on the back of the fret board. However, this is too painful for me and my chords sound aweful. The only way, so far, I can play is using the mid-section of my thumb.

I've been curious if my hands, part or in full, are too small or if improvising like I'm doing is acceptable. I know everyone has their own playing style but I don't want to learn bad habits or injure my wrist.

Thanks for reading!

Though I never put much thought in to where my thumb is, I just grabbed a guitar and watched myself. Things is, in action, you're tumb is not held in one single way. Playing open 'cowboy' chords, my thumb tends to be hung on top of the fretboard. I'm not so much gripping the neck as it's where my thumb hangs out. Same with lead/solo stuff mostly. The only time my thumbs is holding the middle, back of the neck is with barre chords. Even then, it's the fleshy part between the tip and the middle/joint.

Something to keep in mind, you do not have to grip the neck for dear life. The thumb is going to move and shift and gripping to tight will slow you down and create discomfort.

Take those videos as a guide but we all have different hands and nothing is universal. However, just fret a chord and find out where your thumb feels most comfortable and know that as you learn, you don't even think about your thumb, it just kinda does its thing.

Just to contradict myself, players such as classical players, you do see them with their thumb holding the middle of the back of the neck. That is the 'proper' technique I suppose but the reality is that unless you're playing classical, a little more freedom for your thumb will do you much better.

# 2
jeff896
jeff896
06/14/2022 6:46 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

Thanks for reading!

Though I never put much thought in to where my thumb is, I just grabbed a guitar and watched myself. Things is, in action, you're tumb is not held in one single way. Playing open 'cowboy' chords, my thumb tends to be hung on top of the fretboard. I'm not so much gripping the neck as it's where my thumb hangs out. Same with lead/solo stuff mostly. The only time my thumbs is holding the middle, back of the neck is with barre chords. Even then, it's the fleshy part between the tip and the middle/joint.

Something to keep in mind, you do not have to grip the neck for dear life. The thumb is going to move and shift and gripping to tight will slow you down and create discomfort.

Take those videos as a guide but we all have different hands and nothing is universal. However, just fret a chord and find out where your thumb feels most comfortable and know that as you learn, you don't even think about your thumb, it just kinda does its thing.

Just to contradict myself, players such as classical players, you do see them with their thumb holding the middle of the back of the neck. That is the 'proper' technique I suppose but the reality is that unless you're playing classical, a little more freedom for your thumb will do you much better.

This is very helpful.

Thanks!!

Thanks for reading!

# 3
Sandy Black
Sandy Black
06/15/2022 3:32 pm

For most open chords you want your thumb sort of over the fretboard. Beginners sometimes find it easier to have a gap from the V part of your hand (between your thumb and index finger) and the fretboard, while more experienced players will have no gap. For scales you want to have your thumb behind the fretboard, sort of in line with your index or middle finger. As long as your thumb isn't pointing towards the headstock of the guitar you should be fine ?

# 4
jeff896
jeff896
06/15/2022 6:35 pm

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it !!

Thanks for reading!

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/15/2022 7:17 pm

In general you should use your thumb to support or anchor your hand in a way that helps your fingers fret notes. But that depends on what you are playing (which strings, which area of the fretboard, which style of music). It helps to realize that this is going to require moving your thumb & adjusting it so the general principle works but adjusted for specific applications.

JeffS65 basically covered this in his excellent reply. The 3rd lesson of this tutorial covers the idea in terms of what I call an axis of power.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=605

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.