One string out of tune


ccranko
Registered User
Joined: 05/31/21
Posts: 10
ccranko
Registered User
Joined: 05/31/21
Posts: 10
05/29/2022 3:03 am

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new guitar. Its the first time I've ever owned a steel string guitar. Getting back into playing having not played for 30 years. I also bought an electric tuner, one that I attach to the head of the guitar. I replaced the strings I purshased the guitar with, with ones that are easier on the fingers, while my fingers toughen up a bit. I've noticed that when I tune the open E (bottom) that the notes of F and G are slightly out of tune, its quite audible. Is this normal for a cheapish guitar? I paid $600 (aus) for it. It is a Sigma guitar. I can't remember if it was doing this with the original strings. Is it a string thing or a guitar body thing?


# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,426
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,426
05/29/2022 2:44 pm
Originally Posted by: ccranko

I've noticed that when I tune the open E (bottom) that the notes of F and G are slightly out of tune, its quite audible. Is this normal for a cheapish guitar?

It could be a couple of things (or a combination of them).

1. The intonation is off on that string.

2. The action is too high, due to the nut or the bridge being too high.

3. The neck is improperly bowed.

4. The frets could be damaged or installed incorrectly.

If you are able, I encourage you to take it to a reputable guitar shop for inspection.

You can also ask the resident GT guitar tech, Steve White!

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

Hope that helps!


Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
ccranko
Registered User
Joined: 05/31/21
Posts: 10
ccranko
Registered User
Joined: 05/31/21
Posts: 10
05/30/2022 9:26 am

Thanks Christopher. I'll take if up with the people I purchased the guitar from. Maybe its still under warranty.


# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,426
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,426
05/30/2022 2:28 pm
Originally Posted by: ccranko

Thanks Christopher. I'll take if up with the people I purchased the guitar from. Maybe its still under warranty.

You're welcome. Best of success with it.


Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
W3
Full Access
Joined: 03/09/17
Posts: 155
W3
Full Access
Joined: 03/09/17
Posts: 155
05/30/2022 7:16 pm

I actually thought intonation when I read the question. But leave it to Christopher to take us to school! Always learning new things when he speaks. Thanks!


# 5
Rumble Walrus
Registered User
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 501
Rumble Walrus
Registered User
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 501
06/02/2022 10:29 pm

Would it happen to be the "G" (3rd) string? Years ago I new a guy who swapped to a wound rather than solid G string and it threw off his innotation. He adjusted the bridge and took care of the problem.

Kind of following up another item from Christopher's excellent advice.


# 6
Dshow
Registered User
Joined: 04/18/12
Posts: 23
Dshow
Registered User
Joined: 04/18/12
Posts: 23
06/03/2022 3:27 pm

Sounds lke the nut isn't cut properly and the strings are too high on the first frets.

I'd take it to a luthier to adjust the nut slots high and maybe do a good setup.


# 7
JeffS65
Registered User
Joined: 10/07/08
Posts: 1,602
JeffS65
Registered User
Joined: 10/07/08
Posts: 1,602
06/06/2022 6:09 pm
Originally Posted by: ccranko

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new guitar. Its the first time I've ever owned a steel string guitar. Getting back into playing having not played for 30 years. I also bought an electric tuner, one that I attach to the head of the guitar. I replaced the strings I purshased the guitar with, with ones that are easier on the fingers, while my fingers toughen up a bit. I've noticed that when I tune the open E (bottom) that the notes of F and G are slightly out of tune, its quite audible. Is this normal for a cheapish guitar? I paid $600 (aus) for it. It is a Sigma guitar. I can't remember if it was doing this with the original strings. Is it a string thing or a guitar body thing?

Something to keep in mind on the G in particular...she'll always be a fussy one:


# 8
Rumble Walrus
Registered User
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 501
Rumble Walrus
Registered User
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 501
06/06/2022 10:45 pm

Thanks Jeff! Only funny because it's true ;)

I'm still chuckling


# 9
Rumble Walrus
Registered User
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 501
Rumble Walrus
Registered User
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 501
06/06/2022 10:47 pm

Thanks Jeff! Only funny because it's true ;)

I'm still chuckling


# 10
Rumble Walrus
Registered User
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 501
Rumble Walrus
Registered User
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 501
06/06/2022 10:50 pm

And my apologies cc -

If I'd read your message more carefully I'd have know the string to which your message referred.


# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.